lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: need to outrun my buddy!!

In 1988 EZGO started tinkering with the 2PG as a precursor to developing the 3PG engine. They increased the carburetor size and tweaked the exhaust system. This was known as the HO (high output) version. Mid 1989 they introduced the 3PG with a white knuckle inducing 11 hp.Therefore if you are driving the 87 and your buddy the 88, you can simply call foul. Conversely if you have the 88 and are being beaten, you will have to accept that he is the better driver, the better man and probably has bigger gentleman parts to boot.

If there is not much in it, cheap things to do are a new spark plug. For some reason 2 stroke plugs never seem to clean well and once they crap out, they crap out. Blow up the tires, this will reduce rolling resistance and possibly increase the diameter giving you slightly longer legs. Also look to the drive belt. As it is only gripped on the edges that is where it wears. If it is less than 1 3/16 inches wide get a new one. Again the increased width on the belt will give you longer legs. By the way while the belt if off, push the cart to make sure you have no rolling resistance.

You leave me with the vision of two guys with helmets, goggles and leather gloves. The wind in their hair and flies stuck in their teeth as they shake their fists at each other whilst tearing up the streets at 12 mph.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome! I have a mdified capri as my daily driver so I had to ask! and I'm seconding the other suggestion to just slow down your friends cart lol
makeitloudnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Pitcart
Not Yet Wild

Since your an old drag racer I would say that you shouldnt waste your time on the stock engine. I did and my 3pg ran good enough to outrun my friends modified 350 four stroke ezgo but it wasnt enough. Go out and locate a cheap sled and a four stroke trans axle. I did a Polaris 440 swap with a yamaha transaxle for about $500.00. I can roost on my friend now, not just smoke.
Pitcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just for the record, my 88 is a stock engine, etc and pulls 23mph on the GPS with a single rider (me) ... The only mods mine has are the HEI ignition w/a high-output ATV coil and a set of 22's all around. (If I bump the hell out of the tire pressure I can squeeze 24 out of it)

One note, my cart gets the carb pulled and jets cleaned about every 2-3 weeks during normal (daily) use - I notice a rather significant decrease in power, speed, etc with even the slightest obstruction, and a good cleaning always seems to bring her back around (and I have a stock airbox and exhaust) ...

Lastly, if you haven't lately, take a couple of hours and a 12 pack and BBQ your muffler - THAT was a huge difference in mine when I first redid it a couple of years ago (and is on the list of stuff to get done again before summer REALLY hits).

and Dave - that actually sounds like a bad "Hoveround" commercial, but at YOUR age, I get that :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
capri man
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=

You leave me with the vision of two guys with helmets, goggles and leather gloves. The wind in their hair and flies stuck in their teeth as they shake their fists at each other whilst tearing up the streets at 12 mph.

Good luck
Dave[/QUOTE]

dave, you have been watching us havnt you!!!
mine is the 88. what plug do yall reccomend for it. one of my problems is i have to much oil mixed with thw gas!!
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

first, if you're running anything above 128:1 (one ounce of oil per gallon of gas) take the time to pull your gas tank and dump out the old fuel and start over (this is a great time to swirl some stainless nuts in there and dislodge the inevitable oil sludge that builds up in these tanks over the years, too) - as mentioned, 128:1 is the correct ratio and if you've been running a heavier mix, then DEFINITELY see the aforementioned post and fully disassemble and clean ALL the jets in your carb when you do the fuel swap (not a bad time for a new filter too, as there inevitably will be some dislodged goo you won't get out of the tank completely).

As to plugs, I've tried every equivalent out there (it would seem) and I have found the best performance and longevity out of the good 'ol NGK BP5HS - whereas most of the equivalent plugs tended to perform well for several weeks or a few months at best (my cart gets a minimum of an hour start/stop use each day, plus heavy use on the weekends) the NGK I have in there as we type is from last August and still going strong (and with the mild or nonexistant winter we had here in WI, my cart never sat unused for more than about 3 weeks all winter) ...

Lastly, I really can't stress enough the benifits of performing a muffler BBQ, especially if you've been running a heavy premix. The design of these mufflers allows a lot of the blowby (unburned oil that exits w the exhaust) to collect and solidify on the baffles, etc over time and really DOES make a substantial difference in airflow (plus, as the muffler heats, rust flakes, etc tend to accumulate and stick to the oil deposits, sludge, etc and a good hot BBQ will burn all that goo out of there safely and allow your muffler to flow normally, ESPECIALLY important with the 1988 2pg's as the entire system is designed to flow higher volume than the standard 2PG system)

The 88's are sort of a "******* child" and although available at the right price often (due to the "one year only" parts, etc) they are totally worth it once you have one running correctly
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO