lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
nomar5
Not Yet Wild

Default gas in oil.

I bought a 1996 Yamaha g16a gas golf cart last sept. I replace the gas filter, spark plug, changed the oil. I haven't got to use it very much at all till this weekend. Used it at the races for 2 days, noticed it was running rough. The 3rd day, when I turned the key on, it started, and tried to get it to go. It wanted to, but couldn't get it to go. I opened the seat, checked the oil. Fuel gushed out of the dipstick tube. Also when I removed the oil cap. So, I just pushed it in the trailer, looked at it today. One of the clamps on the air filter holder was off, when I removed the filter, there was fuel in the bottom of the holder. Am thinking I have a carburetor problem or a fuel pump problem. I am going to pull the drain plug for the oil first, get that changed. I am new at this, am open to any suggestions to what I should do next. Maybe rebuild the carburetor, and fuel pump..? Am glad to be aboard, from some of the post I have read, seem to be some very knowledgable people here.
nomar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: gas in oil.

I think it's a good idea to look at the carb, but if that much fuel is in the motor, I would suspect a hole in the pump diaphram.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
nomar5
Not Yet Wild

So, rebuild the carb is good, the diaphram is in the fuel pump, or is that an outside gasket. This my be a dumb question, where is the oil filter at..?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

No oil filter.
The diaphram is in the pump. An easy way to test it is to remove the pulse line that comes from the motor to the pump. Attach a longer fuel line to the pulse port on the pump. You should not be able to blow into it, or suck out of it. The diaphram only moves a little bit. If you can suck fuel out of it, the diaphram is shot.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fuel-pump.html
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
nomar5
Not Yet Wild

I just unhooked the line that goes to the motor from the fuel pump. I was able to blow into it; Blowing into it wasn't easy, but the air seemed to be blowing in. My carb looks in pretty rough shape, the flapper where I took of the air filter case seems to be stuck open. Would I be better off just buying a new carb and a new fuel pump. Don't rebuild them..?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

You were blowing into the pump, correct?
When you say flapper, do you mean the choke plate? If so, pull out the choke lever and see if the flapper closes. I wouldn't buy a new carb until you know for sure you need one. I would buy a new pump. They are about $50.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
nomar5
Not Yet Wild

Yes, that was the choke plate. And yes, I could blow back into the fuel pump. Am going to order a new fuel pump, see if that solves the problem. Also removed the carburetor, cleaned it up, looks much better.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

A new pump should take care of the issue. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
nomar5
Not Yet Wild

thx for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha