lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
MacNicol Racing
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 G16 starting problems

I'm having issues with my G 16 starting. It turns over and will not start, when I pulled the choke it backfires/pops out of the carburetor. Things I've checked so far (compression test 169lbs, spark(new coil), adjusted valves, cleaned carb and replaced intake gaskets). While it's doing this if you pump the gas pedal it will start and for the most part once you get it running it will stay running and runs fine. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
MacNicol Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2000 G16 starting problems

Are you trying to start cold in gear ?? If you are, try this instead:

1. Put cart in neutral.
2. Turn ignition on, pull choke, then depress accelerator approx. 1/3 to the floor.
3. Release choke when cart starts and re-choke if cart stumbles.
4. Let it run in neutral 10 seconds or so, then release accelerator pedal. Shift to fwd. and ride (choke as necessary if cart stumbles).

This works great for my cart as it is a little cold blooded on first start of the day. Also, I think the fuel pump needs a little time to get gas flowing to the carb. Usually, I only need to do this on the first start of the day during summer/fall. It's "good to go" without choking the rest of the day. As the days get colder you might have to repeat this procedure if you haven't run it for a while. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
MacNicol Racing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Are you trying to start cold in gear ?? If you are, try this instead:

1. Put cart in neutral.
2. Turn ignition on, pull choke, then depress accelerator approx. 1/3 to the floor.
3. Release choke when cart starts and re-choke if cart stumbles.
4. Let it run in neutral 10 seconds or so, then release accelerator pedal. Shift to fwd. and ride (choke as necessary if cart stumbles).

This works great for my cart as it is a little cold blooded on first start of the day. Also, I think the fuel pump needs a little time to get gas flowing to the carb. Usually, I only need to do this on the first start of the day during summer/fall. It's "good to go" without choking the rest of the day. As the days get colder you might have to repeat this procedure if you haven't run it for a while. Good luck - RAY
This is a new problem that has just started.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
dewzer
Getting Wild

You said you pump the gas peddle. There is no accelerator pump in the carb so your giving it more air by depressing the peddle.
What happens if you hold the accelerator to the floor?
During the hard starting scenario have you pulled the plugs to see if they are wet?
If this just started to act up how about water in the fuel? Plugged fuel filter?
Restriction in the fuel pick up tube in the tank?
I am doing a 97 EZ-GO gas right now with a fuel issue and found the top of the fuel tank settled and pushed the suction tube into the bottom of the tank cutting the fuel supply off to the pump/system.
Snipped off 1/4" of the pickup tube on an angle and it is good to go.
You can always pull the fuel line off the carb and try and start the engine to see if you have a good fuel flow. Aim that removed line into a jar or container so as to not have fuel shooting all over the place.
If there is a drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl drain the bowl as you may have water in there as well.
Just thinking out loud~
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
MacNicol Racing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewzer View Post
You said you pump the gas peddle. There is no accelerator pump in the carb so your giving it more air by depressing the peddle.
What happens if you hold the accelerator to the floor?
During the hard starting scenario have you pulled the plugs to see if they are wet?
If this just started to act up how about water in the fuel? Plugged fuel filter?
Restriction in the fuel pick up tube in the tank?
I am doing a 97 EZ-GO gas right now with a fuel issue and found the top of the fuel tank settled and pushed the suction tube into the bottom of the tank cutting the fuel supply off to the pump/system.
Snipped off 1/4" of the pickup tube on an angle and it is good to go.
You can always pull the fuel line off the carb and try and start the engine to see if you have a good fuel flow. Aim that removed line into a jar or container so as to not have fuel shooting all over the place.
If there is a drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl drain the bowl as you may have water in there as well.
Just thinking out loud~
The whole fuel system was cleaned out including the carburetor and fresh gas was put in it prior to having this problem. the backfiring through the carburetor would indicate possibly a bad intake valve but the compression test doesn't reflect that. I'm sure once I figure out what's causing it to pop through the carburetor the cold starting problems will be fixed. This all started after I replace the coil. The spark appear strong in the spark tester.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OEM or aftermarket coil ?? Could be spark timing issue if coil not correct. Also, check the gap between flywheel and coil. A 3 x 5 index card thickness is about right. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
dewzer
Getting Wild

I am not sure about your applaction but I do know on a Briggs engine the coil will bolt on two ways. That is why it is marked, (this side out).
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha