lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: What is the max rpms for a g29 to operate safely??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Could be tach error ill try redoing the wiring around the plug wire and see if it makes a difference. Just by the ear test this new cart is quiet as a mouse as compared to the 09 wide open. Im wanting to get more power in the bottom and midrange since that is 90% of my riding and working speed. Hopefully don can dial it in for me.
That's one of the reasons why I eventually want to get bigger tires. I don't need a lot of speed, but I'd like it if running at 20 MPH didn't sound like the engine was revving so high. It would be great to get the same speed at a slightly lower RPM. The way it runs now, it's just begging for an overdrive gear. And I've got tons of low end power. Sometimes it seems like I could almost pop a wheelie if I had a little better grip. But that's how Don rebuild my secondary. I wish it shifted to high "gear" a little quicker.

I don't know why the newer cart sounds quieter, unless Yamaha added some sound deadening material that it didn't have in the older models. I know mine got louder after I did Don's airbox mods.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
hewlett
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My 2013 drive runs at 2880 on tach with a zip tie. Have never tried with out load but the gov seems to be limiting any higher. Like you I have a lot of low end power Really dont trust tach but have had same readings for a year.
hewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Now with the stock tires the engine would rev higher but i didnt have my tach meter then to check and see what actual rpms were.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The Yamaha throttle governor doesnt actually care about motor rpm, it regulates road speed. The transmission input shaft will always be in a constant, predictable relationship with road speed. The motor rpms are Not in a predictable relationship with road speed, due to variable ratios in the clutches. That is why it revs up pretty high at first, then settles down some when top speed is achieved. According to the manual, Yamaha is looking for a max rpm of 11.4hp at 3500 (no actual max rpm listed), due to the governor/clutch relationship described above, it may not be at max rpm when at top speed. If your governor is bypassed, and you are not able to achieve this rpm, then you are horsepower limited (too big tires, too high rear gear ratio).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The Yamaha throttle governor doesnt actually care about motor rpm, it regulates road speed. The transmission input shaft will always be in a constant, predictable relationship with road speed. The motor rpms are Not in a predictable relationship with road speed, due to variable ratios in the clutches. That is why it revs up pretty high at first, then settles down some when top speed is achieved. According to the manual, Yamaha is looking for a max rpm of 11.4hp at 3500 (no actual max rpm listed), due to the governor/clutch relationship described above, it may not be at max rpm when at top speed. If your governor is bypassed, and you are not able to achieve this rpm, then you are horsepower limited (too big tires, too high rear gear ratio).
Totally agree that the engine will not produce max RPM if it is overloaded (too big tires, too high gear ratio, too many people etc.). But that would not explain why he would only see 3800 RPM in neutral with no load. Obviously if the governor was still functioning, that would be the reason for that, as the input shaft is still spinning. So at this point I have to say that either the governor is still working (zip tie not in the right spot?), or the tach is off.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The cart is fast enough i just want to bottom end grunt and no lagging on acceleration since adding the tires.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
The cart is fast enough i just want to bottom end grunt and no lagging on acceleration since adding the tires.
Don told me that he sets up clutches differently on lifted carts with larger tires than he does with stock setups. I suspect it's for precisely the reasons you are experiencing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha