lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone installed a Jet Kit on a G29

I would concur. I did not see any more top speed, but like I said before, my governor is simply tie strapped and it's still is exerting some influence. But I do notice a crisper, more responsive acceleration. But as a qualifier, I also thoroughly cleaned the carb, and I also installed a brand new secondary clutch (which Don went over and installed a "power" spring), along with a new belt, so any number of those things could be responsible for the improved hole shot. I initially noticed an increase in exhaust fumes, until I added an extension pipe.

The reason for the jet kit is to improve fuel/air flow, which is only an issue at high RPM's, which presumably you won't see unless you bypass the governor. Running at high RPM without the richer jets, would subject the engine to a lean out condition which could burn valves and cause other damage. I guess the bottom line is that if you're not planning on disabling the governor, it's probably not necessary. On the other hand, it's not all that expensive, the air filter is washable, and it does improve overall driveability. I don't have to operate the choke as much in the colder weather. It pretty much fires right off and runs.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
MississippiG29
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbaggerYDRA View Post
I would concur. I did not see any more top speed, but like I said before, my governor is simply tie strapped and it's still is exerting some influence. But I do notice a crisper, more responsive acceleration. But as a qualifier, I also thoroughly cleaned the carb, and I also installed a brand new secondary clutch (which Don went over and installed a "power" spring), along with a new belt, so any number of those things could be responsible for the improved hole shot. I initially noticed an increase in exhaust fumes, until I added an extension pipe.

The reason for the jet kit is to improve fuel/air flow, which is only an issue at high RPM's, which presumably you won't see unless you bypass the governor. Running at high RPM without the richer jets, would subject the engine to a lean out condition which could burn valves and cause other damage. I guess the bottom line is that if you're not planning on disabling the governor, it's probably not necessary. On the other hand, it's not all that expensive, the air filter is washable, and it does improve overall driveability. I don't have to operate the choke as much in the colder weather. It pretty much fires right off and runs.
Sandbagger, what color is the spring Don installed on your secondary, also can you post a pic of your exhaust pipe??
MississippiG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yeah id love to see pics of the exhaust mod as well.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiG29 View Post
Sandbagger, what color is the spring Don installed on your secondary, also can you post a pic of your exhaust pipe??
The spring is a blue color and the exhaust extension is also here. I will probably make some changes to the exhaust next spring. I'll probably slit the elbow and use a clamp to hold it tighter. I may also add a support near the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3184.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6804.jpg (192.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6803.jpg (232.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by SandbaggerYDRA; 12-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: adding additional text
Old 12-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Thanks sandbagger your the man..looks like a 1/2" copper 45 elbow and a 1/2" copper pipe..
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Thanks sandbagger your the man..looks like a 1/2" copper 45 elbow and a 1/2" copper pipe..
Yep, 1/2" copper water pipe and a 45 degree elbow. It didn't cost me a dime as I had the materials laying around in the workshop. It will slide right on the end of the exhaust outlet of the muffler. I made the initial mistake of trying to sweat the joint between the copper pipe and the elbow, but on a long hill climb where the exhaust got real hot, it melted the solder and the pipe fell off. So I went with a small sheet metal screw there as well as on the muffler end. I don't think it holds all that tightly, so I'm going to try a clamp arrangement next. I just have to find a muffler like clamp that fits 1/2" pipe.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Wonder if a real heavy duty wide band hose clamp would work?? I wann try this but with my cart lifted with taller tires this extension would be exposed for my 1.5 yr old son to grab. Hard enough to keep him from stomping on the pedal, yanking the headlight switch, and turning the key on and off non stop.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
MississippiG29
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Im going to do something similar, I will most likely run the extension straight out the back.

Thanks Sandbagger for replying, I will post pics of what ever I come up with, most likely will use a clamp and some flexible pipe?? Will check out everything at the autostore and Lowe's to see what I can come up with.
MississippiG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #29
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiG29 View Post
Im going to do something similar, I will most likely run the extension straight out the back.

Thanks Sandbagger for replying, I will post pics of what ever I come up with, most likely will use a clamp and some flexible pipe?? Will check out everything at the autostore and Lowe's to see what I can come up with.
Yea, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something. As long as the pipe can handle high temperatures, you should be ok.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Wonder if a real heavy duty wide band hose clamp would work?? I wann try this but with my cart lifted with taller tires this extension would be exposed for my 1.5 yr old son to grab. Hard enough to keep him from stomping on the pedal, yanking the headlight switch, and turning the key on and off non stop.
Yea, that pipe does get hot after a hard run. I'll have to look around and see what kind of clamps I can find. I don't think a standard hose clamp would have enough strength to really clamp down hard on two metal pipes, but there may be a similar clamp. It's time to rummage through the auto parts and home stores....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha