lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Otis Trout
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Cart moves while starting

My G1 rolls during the starting process. Seems like the clutch doesn't disengage. Happens in forward or reverse. This makes the battery work very hard. It is not only trying to turn the engine over but move the weight of the cart as well.

Is there a way to disengage the clutch mechanically? Pry apart? How do I know if it is the clutch on the engine, or the wheel on the differential. I am not sure which one may be sticking, not allowing the belt to go "slack" when the cart isn't moving.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Otis Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Cart moves while starting

The slide shaft might be dry and dirty. You'll need to remove the clutch, disassemble, clean thoroughly, tiny bit of lube on the center shaft, make sure the roller bearing is "rolling", and reassemble. When you use lube, just a tiny bit is needed. Too much will fling all over and ruin your belt.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its your primary, depends on what one you have. Or you have the wrong belt on it. A new belt will be sticky for a bit but not that long. The old original primary had a spring in it and would be broken if it closed on the belt at idle. The replacement is a G2/9 clutch it has no spring you can move the outer part in/out by hand and it has a big rounded gold cover. The old one is cast alum looking and square shaped not rounded on the outside. Cleaning and lube may help it or it might need service. If you dig around you might find parts for the original one but yami does not offer them anymore far as I know, I read some aftermarket parts are out there. The newer clutch tends to crack the cover if the weights blow, they are about $90 for a set. But the G2 clutch will rub the belt if it gets dirty, you can pull it out by hand and see it leave the belt, then start it and if it starts ok that is your issue. Some or all of them have a grease fitting on the outer edge for the bushing in the center. Be vary careful of grease use 2 pumps max and clean it off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Otis Trout
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys, I will start the trouble shooting when I get back up there. Very helpful.
Otis Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, disengage, start issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha