lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Bodie2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Yamaha G2 Not Running right

I have a Yamaha G2 that I recently picked up for fun. I got the motor running great except that it only runs if I disconnect the red/white wire coming off the starter generator. Otherwise it starts, quits, starts, quits. I have traced the wire connectivity and gone over the wire schematic for this cart. It connects through at all points, so bad Voltage Regulator or bad starter generator? Does anyone know a good way to test the voltage regulator? Thanks!
Bodie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Not Running right

A bad VR can make a yami quit running, there are threads about this here someplace. One thing I would say is a common issue with yami are bad connections and other wiring problems. Also note grounds are wired and so they can and do also have issues, the frame is not ground so check ground wires and fuses also. If you are sure wires are good see if there is any way to test the VR, do you have the solid state or the older metal adjustable one? At least the wiring is cheap to fix. The VR looks at voltage and sends current to the gen via the small wires to excite the windings and make it charge, to raise voltage. It can get angry if it can't 'see' the voltage (12v) because of wiring issues, or it might be bad.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Bodie2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Sho, my 420cc clone is seeming easy compared to this temperamental cart. I do not have an extra VR laying around but I did notice the grounds were not to frame, I'll go over that again wire by wire. I have other problems now, oil is coming out the engine block seal by the dipstick on clutch side and the cart is dying under load when you put the drive belt on. I think the engine is coming back out and getting all new seals. That or clone round 2 is going to happen......
Bodie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My G9 was the most reliable gas powered machine I've ever had but anything over 20 years old is going to have issues. Make sure the bolts are tight in the block, I found out the hard way if you take your new clone apart to remove the governor....you better put new blue loctite on the bolts or it will be leaking soon! Dying under load could be lean from leaky airbox, intake, or dirty carb, or maybe weak spark. Make sure its not a clutch problem making rpm much lower than it should be.

I've had my G9 since '99 when it was bought from a golf course trade in. I just had to put the first start solenoid on it lol. Is only electrical part I've put on though I plan to get new battery cables soon the clamps are toast. It hasn't had a governor on it since I bought it either.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha