lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Mike STK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 EZ GO gas Workhorse no Mid range power

Bought a 2002 Workhorse 1200, not the best shape. Starts and runs. Had the carb off and cleaned it although not thoroughly. Cleaned and rebuilt the clutch. New Battery. Starts fine, runs smooth on level ground and decent top end speed. What is doesn't do is maintain engine speed climbing hills so the clutch begins to slip. What I noticed is the lack of any throttle response through 80% of the range. If I push it to the floor it bogs down and slowly revs up. It runs real smooth but just seems dead through most of the throttle. I have to believe there's more power to be had as it was meant to carry loads.Thank you in advance for any ideas!
Mike STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZ GO gas Workhorse no Mid range power

What size tires ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Mike STK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Stock tires, no lift. I should have mentioned that.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Have you done a basic tune-up? Air/fuel filters, spark plugs, wires, valve adjustment, etc.

Maybe check compression before/after valve adjustment. I always do a compression test as soon as I get a new project home just to see where it stands. These engines will run on 1 cylinder, and will run surprisingly well with low compression. Many times a valve adjustment will bump compression considerably if it's never been done.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Mike STK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did new plugs and the air filter is very good. I took the fuel tank out and flushed it. I've ordered new fuel line and filter, as well as a new fuel pump. I had the fuel line off and turned it over. Fuel came out in spurts but I couldn't find a video to compare how the volume should look. Compression was my next step but I just wasn't sure if it sounded like more of a fuel problem.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Ashley2006
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a ezgo workhorse 350cc st it is a 2003 model. I have been having some problems with going up hill. After much frustration!! Did you know I said much frustration!! to infinity and beyond. ok sorry. I believe the problem was a weak ignition coil. it was working but was weak. the spark plugs kept fouling and it ran rough. I replaced the coil with my hubby's hep of course and the power is much better...for a few days...but then it started not wanting to start again. guess what the spark plugs are black again. so I am hoping it was the bad coil caused the spark plugs to foul and we are replacing today so I hope all will be better!?? I will let you know. just for fun
Ashley2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Ashley2006
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If at first you don't succeed...try it again, repeat!
Ashley2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike STK View Post
I did new plugs and the air filter is very good. I took the fuel tank out and flushed it. I've ordered new fuel line and filter, as well as a new fuel pump. I had the fuel line off and turned it over. Fuel came out in spurts but I couldn't find a video to compare how the volume should look. Compression was my next step but I just wasn't sure if it sounded like more of a fuel problem.
I would check compression and adjust the valves to .004 first. As valves wear, they become tight, so they don't close all the way, lowering compression, which will drastically affect how much power the motor makes. It can make a night and day difference. It's doesn't cost anything to adjust them, only takes a few minutes, and it may make all the difference you're looking for.

I may be wrong with my "guess" here (it's difficult to diagnose something with very little information and not have the motor in front of you...) but I always start with the basics, and the adjustable stuff that doesn't cost anything. I don't think i've ever brought something home that the valves were anywhere close to spec. Even 4wheelers that are only 2-3 years old and the valves are way off of what they should be... let alone a golf cart that's 16 years old. Why chase down problems and replace a bunch of parts when you can "fix" the free stuff first :)

I don't know WHY nobody does valve adjustments, but I guess that's just the way it is.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, just to note...

When you adjust the valves, look at the threads on top of the adjustment nut. These motors have soft intake valves, and they tend to wear. If there's a lot more threads showing on top of the nut on the intake valves compared to the exhaust valves, they'll need to be replaced. Adjusting them to spec will still help power short term, but eventually they'll have to be replaced.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Have you pushed the gas pedal wide open with ignition switch off and looked to see if it actually opens wide open ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO