lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
alfa88
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 iq 48v solenoid testing

I have a 2003 IQ 48v club car that the battery cable terminal was broken/burnt at the battery side of the cable going to the solenoid. I replaced the terminal and when I went to put it back on the battery it sparked. I put my vom on cable going to solenoid and to ground it shows shorted to ground . What is the correct way to test for bad solenoid. Thanks
alfa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 iq 48v solenoid testing

Some golf cart solenoids have a pre-charge resistor across the terminals of the solenoid. The pre-charge resistor keeps the controller capacitors ready to go to avoid a jittery transition. That would probably indicate a short as you noted. But...I'm unsure if yours has that. It is also possible that your solenoid is stuck in the "on" position with the contacts welded together. If you had a real short the battery pack would have turned your cart into a piece of charcoal. Does the cart run? It's possible that your bad battery lead damaged the solenoid contacts. A loose battery lead can burn the contacts in the solenoid. As far as the spark is concerned I think it's normal to see that when hooking the leads up. I realize I'm speculating but it's the best I can do.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

again I wonder....will they ever come back and look at the answers given
PS I think that was a great reply
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
alfa88
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. My cart has the resistor and I removed one side of it when I looked at it with my vom. I understand a resistor will show a short when you test across both ends of it. when I said I see a short to ground I had one test lead on the lug of the solenoid with the resistor off and the other lead to the frame. When I test across the lugs on the solenoid with the resistor off it is not shorted out. the cart ran well before the lug burnt off, when it sparked I left the cable off so if there was a problem I would not burn anything up, that's why I wanted to fine out what's a good test for the solenoid. I know sometimes you can get an ark when your hooking the leads up but this sparked as if touched the pos. side of a battery to frame ground. Sorry I did not reply sooner, I wonder.... is that what oxfordlawn is refering to? Thanks
alfa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

For some reason I assumed the spark you saw when you hooked the lead up was small. Apparently it was large. That much of a spark indicates a short for sure. Sounds like you tested the solenoid correctly. The problem with testing a solenoid is there are too many things that can go wrong inside with the moving parts, heat, and high current load. Tests can show only just so much. With an ohm meter a solenoid can show to be making connection and in reality just have a tiny amount of good contact making that connection. Maybe you do need a new one. With the possibility of a short happening I like the idea of having a big fuse installed on my battery pack. In fact I may do just that.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa88 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My cart has the resistor and I removed one side of it when I looked at it with my vom. I understand a resistor will show a short when you test across both ends of it. when I said I see a short to ground I had one test lead on the lug of the solenoid with the resistor off and the other lead to the frame. When I test across the lugs on the solenoid with the resistor off it is not shorted out. the cart ran well before the lug burnt off, when it sparked I left the cable off so if there was a problem I would not burn anything up, that's why I wanted to fine out what's a good test for the solenoid. I know sometimes you can get an ark when your hooking the leads up but this sparked as if touched the pos. side of a battery to frame ground. Sorry I did not reply sooner, I wonder.... is that what oxfordlawn is refering to? Thanks
........whare you getting current when connected to the frame?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Just a FYI
if you read the resistor and the VOM is set on the lower scale it should read 250
ohms, Not Shorted !
Very good explination of how to determin the Value !
http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Resistor_Codes
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car