lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 club car running hot

i lifted my 87 club car 6" added 12" wheels and 22" tires replaced all 6 batteries (36v) upgraded battery wires only. now the problems, v-glide went first (replaced it) running extreamly hot , melted factory solder connection @ v-glide,re-solder connection (melted) added screw by tap/dye all seemed to be good now just burned up selenoid. also i have alot of friction @ v-glide when using pedal. any ideas? thank you, aquamatt
aquamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: 87 club car running hot

So the new batteries only have 3 fill holes each ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

In most cases heat means loose or too small cables? I understand that you have an older cart with older parts so its not surprising that solenoid and V glide arcing with additional load of larger tires is showing up your carts weak points. I hope that you replaced your solenoid with a HD NON CHINA built unit?
As to your V glide it should move through the full range with smooth operation? When new there may be a little roughness that will wear down shortly. If not I would take the lid off and look for rough contacts and repair before it causes other problems, such as stuck pedal on high speed?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

Yes the batteries only have 3 fill holes each, is that causing a problem?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

So you are saying there is not much to upgrade other than the cables for this older cart? and would the cables also be causing the arc and yes sticky pedal at full speed at v glide? on another note is it possible to switch this cart over to solid state?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

One last thing, would upgrading the heat sync help and if so, where can i get it?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

GMORRISON was just checking to be sure that you didnt go with 8 volt batterys
( 4 Holes= 48 Volts ) That would cause alot of your problems with everything else stock. I didnt mean to imply that there wasnt much you could do to update your cart? If you will excuse the pun all it takes is a large dose of MONEY. There is much that can upgrade your older cart but you have gone passed one of the items ( switch to 48 volts )? another is the indicated 4 guage cables, an HD adaption of your F&R switch, but you wont get as much of a power jump as you would with a controller setup.
There are several different ways you can go
#1 is to replace your resistors with a solid state controller ( Example Alltrax NPX4834 )and a new speed unit ( Example PB-6 )to replace your V glide unit. This would require some linkage changeovers and of course new wiring.
#2 To get by with using the existing V glide unit you can purchase a set of small resistors that attach to the back of you V glide eliminating the heavy wires to resistors and the resistors themselves. This adaption would allow you to connect to a modern controller that doesnt use heat to change speeds and allow more power to motor.
All of the adaptions require the changing of your solenoid to a HD unit of whatever voltage you end up with.
One good thing about whatever way you go you can use your existing 36 volt motor as it can handle control changes and even 48 volts upgrades easily.
This is just a quick look at what you can do to make your cart more modern and faster as well with less battery charges between usage.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

thank you for your help, i was getting ready to burn it to the ground but i see some light here. large dose of money? no such thing at the moment. could you tell me more (which ones) about small set of resistors and modern controller? thanks again, aquamatt
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The resistors you would need for V glide update are available from Club Car and If Im correct come in a kit? As to controller look at ALLTRAX Site for info, besides the change over should really be answered by SCOTTYB AND OTHERS who has done this type of conversions and can give you all the ins and outs of that type of change over.
SCOTTYB WHERE ARE YOU!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
aquamatt
Not Yet Wild

thanx for all your help let me know if you hear from scottyb, aquamatt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car