lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What is it for?

Just got a 96 CC DS. In the frame rail just behind the batteries on the drivers side is a silver metal box, just fits between the rails and about 8" long. It has a wire coming out the back end that goes to the last battery neg. terminal. The other end splits to 2 ends that are staked together and maybe 4 wires coming off that. I did trace 1 wire that went to one side of the horn. On the box it says "caution HOT..can cause severe burns." I thought maybe a voltage reducer, but no positive wire going to it, just the negative and then the split on the other end of the box.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is it for?

Sounds like a voltage reducer to me? Strange way to wire it but on an electric cart with no frame ground it could work? By feeding full switched voltage 36-48 volts to accesories and going back through reducer to battery pack ground it would work. Sure NOT the way I would do it ( BUT )??? We have all seen worse wiring I'm sure.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
ggwearsch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It is a voltage reducer and that is the way Club Car does it. Works!
ggwearsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I also agree that it a voltage reducer!

1 hint to really find out...
check your batteries for an "odd" (non stock) wire, on the positive side of either at the #1 battery (48v to 12v)
or at your #5 battery (16v to 12v)

Then see if it traces back to that box!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
I also agree that it a voltage reducer!

1 hint to really find out...
check your batteries for an "odd" (non stock) wire, on the positive side of either at the #1 battery (48v to 12v)
or at your #5 battery (16v to 12v)

Then see if it traces back to that box!

I did see some non stock wires coming off the #5 + battery, did a voltage check from the # 5 Battery to one side of the horn that went to the end that split off and got 12.4 volts thru it so I guess it is a voltage reducer. I was hoping for a 48v to 12v instead of a 16v to 12v. Don`t like taking the juice off just 2 batteries! Just didn`t figure it would get that hot going from 16v to 12v. I haven`t checked to see how hot it gets

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car