lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default paralleling batteries to run accessories

I have just recently purchased an 07 precedent and I am wanting to install a radio along with other accrssories. I have read all the different ways to power 12V items, some good, some bad. There are some pretty intellegent people on this forum and thought I would run this by to see if there is anything I overlooked.

The golf cart batteries are in series to produce 48V. What would happen if you hooked up the batteries in parallel keeping the parallel grounds seperate from the series ground. So basically you would have two separate electrical systems each with a supply and return.

That way you would have 12V drawing from all 4 batteries.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mark
mkbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: paralleling batteries to run accessories

welcome to BGW.....my thoughts are it won,t work otherwise this would have been done a very long time ago......as you said there are some purty smart members here and you can bet someone has tried it at some point..........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi again! I have researched and talked with several electricians and can't find any reason why 12 volt batteries wired in parallel would be a detriment to the batteries or any accessory being powered by batteries wired this way.

That being said, I know of no one who has had sucess or failure configuring thier carts with this type of electrical system. As of now I am in uncharted territory.

Tomorrow I will wire my lights and radio this way unless someone chimes in with a reason not too.

Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
rib33024

There was another thread about this, and I can't find it, but if I remember right, if your batteries are hooked up in series to run your cart, and you try to wire them in parallel at the same time to run 12v there is a short, you can't do both at the same time, But I could be wrong, god knows
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes you can do this, so you either listen to the radio or drive but not both at the same time
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
There was another thread about this, and I can't find it, but if I remember right, if your batteries are hooked up in series to run your cart, and you try to wire them in parallel at the same time to run 12v there is a short, you can't do both at the same time, But I could be wrong, god knows
Yea, I went out to do some voltage checks and your memory is excellent. With two batteries in parallel, there is 12 volts between the two legs. If I hooked the two together, a short is what I have.

I know that some batteries can be wired both ways at the same time. Laptops and dry cells come to mind. Not sure why the same principal does not apply to cart batteries.

Oh well

Thanks to all who responded!

Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can do that like laptops you can take 4 batteries wire two in parallel and then two more in parallel then the two sets of parallel can be hooked in series this will give you twice the voltage of one battery and four times the current if you want to add batteries you could do this
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
You can do that like laptops you can take 4 batteries wire two in parallel and then two more in parallel then the two sets of parallel can be hooked in series this will give you twice the voltage of one battery and four times the current if you want to add batteries you could do this
Something else for me to think about.

When I re-connected the batteries after my failed experiment, there was a large spark when I connected the negative wire back to the battery. What could be drawing so much current when you first connect the batteries and is this normal. It seemed after the initial draw, something reset/turned off.

Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

ALWAYS ALWAYS put the run tow switch in tow when playing with the batteries. don't know what you have on it if the run sw was in run it could have of been the caps in the controller ????
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
rib33024

BGW...or... anyone on this forum, ... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using, or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car