lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default BoostedOne's Medalist Project

Hey guys, figured I would post up some pics of my project. Its a 94 or 95 Medalist with a 295. Picked it up off Craigslist on Monday or Tuesday night for 300. Supposedly it had no compression and the engine was bad. It has a roof, but I still need to go pick it up.

Anyhow, here it is in the back of my truck...

Its got a beat up front cowl. The rear panels arent bad except for a few dings and the wheel arch trim is shot.

Ended up doing a compression check, found 180psi per hole. Plugs were shot, and the carb needed cleaned since it was overflowing the bowl.

Got it over to the shop....

We cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, drained out 3 quarts of oil and replaced with 1.5 quarts. Got her running right away, but would only run if it was choked and smokes real bad. Ordered a carb rebuild kit from East Coast Custom Carts on Thursday, and it got here Friday. Also on Friday, I got a new front Cowl, carbon fiber dash cover, some 22x11x8 tires and wheels from Edgewater Custom Carts in Orlando. If anyone needs a new TXT cowl, give these guys a call. The cowl was 145 and fit PERFECT.

Dont have any pics of it right now. But went over today and rebuilt the carb, and adjusted the valves. The thing runs PERFECT, but it still smokes under load so, Im thinkin it probably needs rings despite the good compression numbers. Also, when I took the rockers off to test fit the new cowl, I found the outer frame rails rotted in the front. Tomorrow a buddy and I may get at it and replace the bad sections of the outer frame rails.

Im looking forward to getting paint on it. I plan to paint it Viper Blue using DuPont Chroma Base, with PPG clear. Then go with a creme colored seat.

Not looking to get extreme with it. I have too many other projects to get hardcore on this thing. Just want something fun to take to the RV parks when I meet up with friends, and to take out to the mudding events so I dont have to drive the truck everywhere.
BoostedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: BoostedOne's Medalist Project

If you have 180 psi and you drained 3 qts of oil out of it. I thinking that the smoke my be from left over oil in the muffler and exhaust. It may clear out after you drive it a while.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmaster View Post
If you have 180 psi and you drained 3 qts of oil out of it. I thinking that the smoke my be from left over oil in the muffler and exhaust. It may clear out after you drive it a while.

Yeah, I actually have my fingers crossed hoping for that....

Just not sure how long I should give it. I played on it today for about 20 minutes, and its still smokin. I chopped a section of frame rail out of it last night so I didnt want to drive too much(the fact that the steering wheel doesnt have the nut on it at the moment had something to do with that too), and really since its at my shop in an industrial park there is only so much ground to cover.

My buddy brought up the fact that oil in the chamber will help inflate a compression number too, and the only way to know is to do a leakdown which I dont have a leak down tester. I am goin to atleast pull the plug and see, as well as disconnect the breather hose and see if its p*ssing oil out at high RPM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a good plan. Your buddy is correct on the leak down test. I have cut into my stock muffler ( just like yours ) and i can tell you that oil can easily puddle in it. The way the exhaust tubes come out it could be there for a while. With all the oil you drained out there could be a puddle in it. Especially if it runs good now. You might get lucky.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Boosted, are the new wheels offset? Do you have any clearance issues? It looks like you did not do a lift?

I have not seen a stock (not lifted) cart with 22's on it. I might want to go that way with my workhorse if it's working for you.

Thanx
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Scoty, I put 20s on my workhorse before the lift and they rubbed when I turned or flexed the suspension hard .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Ah, ok just tryin to get cheap. I'm desperate to make some progress on this thing.
Thanx, Scottttty
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

sco y, buy the drop axle
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Scot,
If you are goin to do 22's with offset wheels, why not just try it and see?
Yeah, the wheels are offset. On an 8" wheel, everything i saw said they need offset to clear a drop beam anyhow.
Basically, I was planning to do the lift, i just bought the wheels and tires now because it was a package deal where since I was buying a bunch of body peices I asked how much to throw in the wheels and tires, and I got them for about 50-60 off than if I came back and got them another day.
Once I got back to the shop, I had the tires stacked up and space is becoming a premium. I didnt really have intentions of driving it until it was done, so I figured if the tires and wheels fit close enough to sit on the cart, that would be one less thing to trip over for the next few weeks. I expected them to fit, but rub.
With the cowl on, I can turn the steering wheel lock to lock, no issues.
I took the cowl off to drive the cart, since I didnt want to rivet it on since i need to do some frame repair first. With the cowl off, i know it doesnt have any clearance issues with the frame. And I hit some stuff that had me bouncing off the seat and almost fall out of the cart.

Im going to try it out without a lift. Im trying to avoid a lift not because of cost, but because I want to keep the shiny side up.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, this next week things should really start moving... And I hope I get near completion because this stuff is gettin expensive..LOL...

300 for cart Monday or Tues.
$75 for carb rebuild kit and PCV hose from East Coast Carts, Thursday.
$500 for wheels, tires, new cowl, dash cover, ignition switch, and some other items from Edgewater on Thursday.
$225 for 1 gal of Rage Extreme filler, and 1.5gal kit of clear coat.. Already have the base coat. Friday.
$350 something.. Last night to East Coast Carts again... Rear fender caps, new seat covers, buttload of rivets, new king pins, bushings, front wheel bearings, rocker caps, etc.

*sigh*.... No wonder I cant seem to save money.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides