lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
PapaBaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Wiring Voltage Reducer to Multiple Accessories?

I have 48V 2014 G29. I installed a 48 to 12 reducer when I installed my head lights a few weeks ago. I got a 25 amp reducer since I knew I'd be adding a stereo at a later date....well that date has come.

My question is how do I wire more items to the reducer (like an amp)? There was only 2 output wires on the reducer (+ & -) and the headlights are wired to those. Do I need to install something in between the voltage reducer output and the accessories? I dont know anything about electricity, so at the risk of sounding stupid, is there some type of power splitter, lol? Something I can wire multiple accessories to?
PapaBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Default Re: Wiring Voltage Reducer to Multiple Accessories?

Best option is using a Blue Sea fuse panel/block. I use this on my expedition vehicle that I'm running 2 batteries, fridge, sound system, inverter, LED's, winch, USB's, etc.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover
Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Also, did yours come w/a wire that goes to a keyed switch so it turns off the reducer when the key is turned off? If so, what wire did you use on the golf cart that turns on/off with the key? Thanks.
Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBaker View Post
I have 48V 2014 G29. I installed a 48 to 12 reducer when I installed my head lights a few weeks ago. I got a 25 amp reducer since I knew I'd be adding a stereo at a later date....well that date has come.

My question is how do I wire more items to the reducer (like an amp)? There was only 2 output wires on the reducer (+ & -) and the headlights are wired to those. Do I need to install something in between the voltage reducer output and the accessories? I dont know anything about electricity, so at the risk of sounding stupid, is there some type of power splitter, lol? Something I can wire multiple accessories to?
Like molon said, a fuse box is best. By only having two output wires, you can only tie in so many wires to it before it becomes silly
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe USA View Post
Also, did yours come w/a wire that goes to a keyed switch so it turns off the reducer when the key is turned off? If so, what wire did you use on the golf cart that turns on/off with the key? Thanks.

He has a g29, so the key switch wires in the harness are red with white stripe, and red with yellow stripe. I believe the right key switch wire to tap into is the red wire with yellow stripe. To be sure, shave just enough insulation from both of them to put the tip of your meter probe on, and keep the negative probe on the negative main battery. If it reads 0 and jumps to your pack voltage when you turn the key on, that's the one you want. You do this test for any club car Yamaha or ezgo car. The nice thing is on other brands, you will not need to shave any insulation off usually because the key switch is usually wired with spade terminals or tiny screws and ring terminals. So it's just one step less
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
PapaBaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe USA View Post
Is there a big issue with not having it wired to the ignition besides the reducer constantly pulling power? From what I've read it only draws a very tiny amount.

I didnt run the reducer off my ignition. My reducer only has 4 wires total (+ & - on the input and + & - output). Can I still run it to the ignition or do I have to buy a different reducer with a 5th wire? I see people on the form talking about installing a relay but I have no clue what they are talking about like on this post:

I saw this picture and I have no clue what it means but seems to be how you wire a relay to the ignition which cuts power to the reducer when the cart is off. If someone wants to explain this in a pre-school fashion then that would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P and B T9AP1D52 Installation.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
PapaBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Try this thread---

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...cer-keyed.html

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
bart98stang
Not Yet Wild

I went to my local marine part store and bought a fuse block and 2 bus bars. +12vdc out of the reducer to 1 bus bar, then into each fuse of the fuse block, then out to each accessory and the same with the negative. In hindsight I wish I would've bought the fuse block in Post #2 but I ran the wires clean and it works.
bart98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a picture of the fuse block described by Molon installed in a G29 with a lithium pack. And a link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161222_112935367_HDR.jpg (313.6 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha