lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default YDRE 8:1 gear change

Hi all. So my Yamaha has a double banded high speed motor from EMP, an XCT 48400 and 4 gauge cables/hd solenoid. The rest of the cart is stock. If I only drive on flat asphalt with mayyybe one passenger, do you think the torque loss of 12:44 to 8:1 would be significant? I'm curious if this is a good move to gain a few more mph (how much?) with my setup and driving conditions. If so, any speacial tools other than gear pullers needed to tear apart the dana axle? Should I replace bearings or anything else preventative maintenance while I'm at it? Thx guys..
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: YDRE 8:1 gear change

With a bearing change, you can use the 10.5:1 high speed gears intended for use in RXV. This will gain you some speed, with less torque loss. also, you will need a press to do the gear change, jaw pullers won't do the trick.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Cgtech, ur the Yamaha jedi. Was hoping u would stumble across this post. Different sized bearings I imagine?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Do you by chance have the part #'s of all I'd need for this? Im pretty handy but ive never been inside a dana axle. A terrible job? Thanks for all..
Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unsoshl: cgtech is right about the 10.5 gears. And you would lose about 30% of your torque with the 8:1.

My story, I looked for a while for high speed gears but seemed that all that was available was 8:1 or 6:1. I wanted something in the 10:1 range, but nothing found on the aftermarket. I did locate a 10.3:1 brand new Villager transaxle through David Hicks at RGC. After the upgrade of the axle which included an Executioner motor from PQ, the cart would top out at 37 with a minimal loss of torque. I also have 300lbs less weight than you do because I am on lithium. From my experience with the 10.3 and lithium, there is no way I would go to an 8:1 gear set. You will lose so much torque and expecially loss of run time on your batteries pushing the load with the 8:1. If you must change gears go the way cgtech suggested at 10.5.

The above description is on my Precedent, but here is link to a write up I did on a TXT PDS lithium upgrade. The cart was 36V just like yours.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...m-upgrade.html
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Ping, I appreciate the information. I'm hoping I can get the exact part info I'll need, and I certainly hope I can take this on myself. My cart is a 48v, but I certainly aim to do the lithium upgrade in the future. Hopefully a true plug and play pack will be available soon, because unlike you I have no idea how to build those packs. Sure would love to drop 300 lbs from the cart though! Thx!!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Dang, I forgot to get that part number for you today.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #8
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

All good Just wish i had ur knowledge. Any info u can provide about this is appreciated.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Ok, got the part number, but it only works on newer models with the Dana/schaffer axle (not the Team axle). Yamaha Part number 93306-20461, common part number 6204. The 8:1 is the only option in Team axles
Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well shoot. I have a 2011 so I imagine I'm dead in the water? Not sure if I should roll dice on the 8:1 or not if that's the case. Regardless, I sure appreciate your help cg.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha