lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 Club Car DS runs for 5 minutes and then stalls...

Hello

Please help with this one. The cart runs great for about 5 minutes or 1/2 mile. Then it will either start stuttering or just stop all together (when I press the gas it just makes the sound without movement). If it sits for 5 minutes, it will go again for 30 seconds and then sputters and back fires at about max of 3 MPh) Because of that, I changed the spark plug, fuel filters, and cleaned the fuel pump. I am wondering if it’s the carb needs cleaning or the speed sensor? Could a dirty carb cause this? Of course it’s the first real use after “winter.”

One more odd thing....I washed the cart and it started after that, so wondered if something got wet that shouldn’t have (it was a few weeks ago and has still does it).

Appreciate any help!!
GA_bbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1995 Club Car DS runs for 5 minutes and then stalls...

Need to figure out if it's fuel or ignition... Run the cart until it acts up pull the spark plug right away and inspect it if it's wet it's ignition issue if it's dry it's fuel issue and we can go from there
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

Buy an inline spark tester.. When it acts up, your probably losing Spark, due to heat-related failure.

Mine was the coil, but it could be the rev limiter.

The rev limiter will be in the front of the motor pull the ground off and tape it up so it does not ground out, this should disable the rev limiter completely. Test drive it if it cuts out again then it's the coil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Need to figure out if it's fuel or ignition... Run the cart until it acts up pull the spark plug right away and inspect it if it's wet it's ignition issue if it's dry it's fuel issue and we can go from there
I took off the rev limiter and taped ground. I drove for about the half a mile and it did the same thing (bogged down and backfire, lunge, stop running). I immediately took out the spark plug and it was bone dry. Put it back in and couldn’t get it to act up again after holding down accelerator for a good five minutes. I did notice that the gas cap has zero rubber on it...but it was like that last year too (will replace). Could the carb be causing any of this...

I really appreciate the time in your responses!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

I guess it could be, but really sounds heat related to me.

You can pull the fuel line off at the carb and see if you have gas bubbling out in pulses, that would tell you if your fuel pump is working... That rubber from your fuel cap is now out the tank, could be clogging the pick up hose....

But sound just like what my 99cc did when I got it, mine was a bad coil, at one point they had separate igniter from the coil, I guess it could be that... It really sounds like heat to me though, cart does fine too it heats up, coil quits working You lose Spark, car cools down fires up and goes again

jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the 95 is still stock it would have the separate coil and igniter. They do commonly break down from heat, so yes that is a possibility. However, since you mentioned the gas cap gasket missing jdgriner is right that the little pieces that used to be the cap gasket are now at the bottom of your fuel tank just waiting to get sucked into the pick up tube and plug it off.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Also try running it with the gas cap off. May be a bad vent or lack there of.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriner View Post

You can pull the fuel line off at the carb and see if you have gas bubbling out in pulses, that would tell you if your fuel pump is working... That rubber from your fuel cap is now out the tank, could be clogging the pick up hose....

But sound just like what my 99cc did when I got it, mine was a bad coil, at one point they had separate igniter from the coil, I guess it could be that... It really sounds like heat to me though, cart does fine too it heats up, coil quits working You lose Spark, car cools down fires up and goes again

The rubber from the cap was vac’ed out and all lines, fuel filtered replaced, and fuel pump cleaned it. Just took off the carb and it is spotless. Sounds like I’m down to Rev limiter (did it while ground unhooked, so not sure?), coil, and igniter (that sits behind the rev limiter). It sure there is a whole lot else besides the way something is set that may cause it. The new plug is gapped correctly as well.

Is 91 degrees today....thinking I need my garage air conditioned!!

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just a couple things: If it did the same thing with the RPM limiter ground unhooked the RPM limiter is NOT the problem. If you've unhooked that limiter, you can get rid of it and the bracket it mounts to. The ignitor doesn't HAVE to mount to the factory position to work. I've often run a slightly longer wire and mounted it at the oil tube hold down. Much easier to reach if needed.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
GA_bbco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriner View Post

Please see the link to what I had today. I had the gas down almost all the way. It would sputter and then go again....then sputter. The fuel lines are clean and the rev limiter still taped off. Just wanted to get your opinion after hearing it. Next move is to buy a new coil and igniter....separate on my 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0eZHWS9ms

Thanks guys!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car