lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
Done Deal
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Oil type

I have a 02 Club Car DS with the 290 motor. What kind of oil do you guys use or recommend. I used to use Mobil1 5W30,but the guy that does some work on my cart does not like using synthetic oil.
Done Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Oil type

I use the stuff in the blue containers from Wal-Mart. Been using it (non-synthetic) in various weights for years now. I use it in everything I own and in various weights and have no complaints. (Super-tech?)

I run 10w30 in a cart similar to yours.

There will be 10,000 different opinions on this topic.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Shell Rotella 15-40 (diesel oil) still has most of the additives that small engines need. Remember, they are built to much loose tolerances than todays liquid cooled engines.
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'm with mooncarter. I use the blue walmart supertech, but I use the full synthetic in everything. It's just as good as anything else, and can get a 5 qt jug for around 15 bucks. I've got 270k miles on my car and been using it for the last 150k miles, no problems. search on youtube for project farm, the dude has done all sorts of testing on all sorts of oils. i was actually pretty surprised how well the supertech held up against redline! Actually some pretty neat stuff.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Proper Oil weight depends on your climate. Yu can run 10w-40 or 15w-40 ere in the summer time. Those are too thick for spring, fall and winter use in VA.
I run plain SAE 30 in all of mine year round.

You can run synthetic if you want, but it's not really beneficial for these. Fuel dilution is a bigger issue than oil breakdown due to age or heat. As good as synthetics are for heat, they are still no better when it comes to handling fuel. The main reason for an oil change with these carts is that fuel in the oil causes it to degrade.

Engines with tappet valve drives also benefit from having zinc in the oil, which synthetics usually don't have much of. Run a regular conventional style oil and change the oil and filter when it starts to get kinda dark. It will run almost forever.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If you really want to understand the chemical differences between syn vs conventional oils go to the net and read tons of info by people who really know what the are talking about. The differences are huge when comparing heat stability,mechanical shearing,metal clinging properties,and stability to fuel dilution. There is good reason why all mfgs now require syn oil. As far as the zinc content diesel syn oil has it still in the formulation as the don't have the cat converters that zinc can foul. P.S. I did a bump of my yamaha G14 engine look inside after 350 hours running on syn oil. No sludge anywhere. Do note the cylinder was out of spec when I did a ring and rod bearing redo when purchasing the smoking cart.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

Ive always ran synthetic in my carts (12 precedent 350 and 09 EZGO RXV). I like Rotella T6 540. I run my carts all year round if there is no snow. And I have them turned up a bit so I feel better with the synthetic.
droptrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

After tons of research I run rotella T-6 in all my small engines year round also.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Done Deal
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the great input guys!!
Done Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car