lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Front Shocks

Ok gang, how can you tell if the front shocks on a G16 are worn out. I know the symptoms with a car, but I don’t believe they’re the same with a cart. Uneven tire wear? Excessive cart sag when passengers get in the front of the cart? Any information is appreciated.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Front Shocks

Yours are coil over shocks. So if the spring is worn it will sag. If the shock is worn out it won't dampen. If both are worn out, the cart will handle badly and not have a good steering feel, and the front end will sit a little low. If they look old, they are probably worn out. The seals on the shocks will sometimes dry rot and the oil will leak out. If there is oil residue on the shock body below the shaft, it has a bad seal.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:48 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A common indicator on Yamahas is a hard lean,The Left Front(Driver-Side) will sit lower,due to usually having 1-person on it most of the time.If they are really worn,the wheels can twist inwards when backing up,and the front end will dive,but thats an extremely worn condition.If you push down on the front end it should rebound right back,if it seems lazy,or doesn't fully rebound,they are weak.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the responses fellas. The shocks return quickly when you push down on the front of the cart, but takes very little force to compress them. When driven forward, the front tires are sometimes angled with the bottom of the tires out further. All of my steering components are tight, and I checked the alignment again. When I hit a bump or dip in the road, the steering starts to dart. On smooth surfaces it’s pretty calm.Someone painted the shocks before I bought the cart, so it’s hard to gauge their actual age by appearance. It’s an old course cart so I’m assuming that the shocks are original. I think I may just replace them.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It sounds like your toe setting is "toe'd out", meaning your tires are pointing out. This causes that darting your talking about. The reason your tires change angle when you move the cart is due to the toe setting and being a single a arm suspension in front. Your toe angle should be 0, meaning not toe'd in or out. The tires want to follow a straight line so if they are pointed out they want to travel that direction, making the suspension compress. You need a really long straight edge to hold on the side of the rim to get the toe set right. If you set it as close to 0 as possible you will see a dramatic difference in steering control and ride.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I did the string check for toe in on the cart. I'm right at zero. I've read on here that no toe to 1/8 inch toe in is what is required for good handling. I was looking at shocks, and a couple of the dealers have some for G16 gas without a year range, and some shocks say for 1995 an up. Of course the ones i need are the more expensive of the two. Is there a difference in the shocks? the pictures don't help, and there is noting listed on the websites to explain any differences.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha