lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #1
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Club Car DS backfire out carb

Hey everyone....I'm stuck.

I'm working on a 2000 club car DS fe290. It doesn't want to start, just spits and sputters and backfires out of the carb. I have confirmed valve adjustment .005, 150 compression, good spark at plug when it's out, fuel pump is ok (maybe not super strong), The carburetor has been cleaned and is new, The key on the flywheel does not appear to be sheared (but I've never encountered one so I don't know exactly what it would look like), the flywheel magnet is in the same location as the attached picture at tdc. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190106_171002.jpg (157.3 KB, 0 views)
muckinfonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS backfire out carb

Which way is the clutch turning when you try and start it?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #3
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The clutch side is turning clockwise
Old 05-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Wrong coil or coil on backwards? Ones I've seen have the high voltage spark plug wire coming up from the coil.
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What color is the spark? Should be bright white or blueish.
If it looks yellow or appears dim the coil is failing.
Does it have the rev limiter hooked up? Try disconnecting the ground wire on the limiter to test if that has failed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie99 View Post
Wrong coil or coil on backwards? Ones I've seen have the high voltage spark plug wire coming up from the coil.
The coil has not been changed or messed with since the time that it was running well.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
What color is the spark? Should be bright white or blueish.
If it looks yellow or appears dim the coil is failing.
Does it have the rev limiter hooked up? Try disconnecting the ground wire on the limiter to test if that has failed.
The spark is bright white and strong.....I have seen weaker spark in carts that run well.

Have not tried disconnecting the limiter. It is a new limiter that was replaced last year so I was assuming that it was good. I will try that, but it seems like a different problem than I've seen when those go bad in my experience at least.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfonkey View Post
The coil has not been changed or messed with since the time that it was running well.
Well it still looks wrong according to the service manual. The ignition timing is set by a 3rd winding, the 'trigger' winding, that sits near one of the legs of the coil. If the coil is flipped over it will still spark, but the timing will be off.

I had a bad flywheel that put the timing off by 38 degrees; it *could* start, but ran like crap, and backfired through the carb when trying to start. Try flipping the coil over, it's an easy test.

[Edit: service manual picture is from a motor that uses a coil with the built-in igniter. I think earlier engines had a separate igniter; if yours is that way, that coil may look different. I have no experience with the separate igniters. But regardless, it sounds like an ignition timing issue to me]
Attached Images
File Type: png coil1.PNG (223.0 KB, 0 views)
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie99 View Post
Well it still looks wrong according to the service manual. The ignition timing is set by a 3rd winding, the 'trigger' winding, that sits near one of the legs of the coil. If the coil is flipped over it will still spark, but the timing will be off.

I had a bad flywheel that put the timing off by 38 degrees; it *could* start, but ran like crap, and backfired through the carb when trying to start. Try flipping the coil over, it's an easy test.
I think there is confusion.....the picture I posted was not the picture of the cart I'm working on.....that is a picture of someone else's cart. I was just demonstrating that the magnet location on mine was in the same spot as the picture. my coil looks that same as the one in the manual that you sent the picture of. I don't have a pic of the one i'm working on, couldn't get the cover all the way off last night before I was fed up with it.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #10
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Lightbulb Re: Club Car DS backfire out carb

Update....
Took the ground wire off the limiter and it is doing the same thing...... Here is a picture of where the magnet is on this cart..... For some reason it only uploads this picture upside down..... The screw for the magnet on the flywheel is under the second leg of the coil as it passes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210526_165443.jpg (191.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car