lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default 36V TXT Charger Will Not Start

Hello EZ GO folks. 99 TXT 36 volt, charger will not click on. Borrowed known working PowerWise charger and it will not click on.

Opened cart side charging port and everything looks OK. Reed switch not bypassed but obviously working because the cart is running. It is also my understanding the reed switch has nothing to do with the charger.

Getting pack voltage at the cart side charging receptacle.

Any and all responses appreciated. Not near my shop I'm at a campground and will be for another week. Really would like to use this thing while here.

Thanks!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V TXT Charger Will Not Start

Moon,

First..Look closely around where the leads from the carts receptacle hook to the pack positive(+) and negative posts.... doesn't take much of a bad connection there to not work....

Second... Some carts have a fuse on one of the leads going to the charge port...usually about the size/shape of a USB thumb drive...may be 30 or 50 amps... I have seen those bad.... if so, you can eliminate it to get you going..

Hope this helps !

Stan
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Hello EZ GO folks. 99 TXT 36 volt, charger will not click on. Borrowed known working PowerWise charger and it will not click on.

Opened cart side charging port and everything looks OK. Reed switch not bypassed but obviously working because the cart is running. It is also my understanding the reed switch has nothing to do with the charger.

Getting pack voltage at the cart side charging receptacle.

Any and all responses appreciated. Not near my shop I'm at a campground and will be for another week. Really would like to use this thing while here.

Thanks!
The "borrowed" charger also won't come on on your cart. Will your charger come on on the other cart ?
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
Moon,

First..Look closely around where the leads from the carts receptacle hook to the pack positive(+) and negative posts.... doesn't take much of a bad connection there to not work....

Second... Some carts have a fuse on one of the leads going to the charge port...usually about the size/shape of a USB thumb drive...may be 30 or 50 amps... I have seen those bad.... if so, you can eliminate it to get you going..

Hope this helps !

Stan
Will check those. Thank you!

PS: Your signature threw me off for a second. My name is Stan too.

I did manually insert the cart side leads while loose from the box. They seemed to fit snugly. I'll go look for a fuse now.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
The "borrowed" charger also won't come on on your cart. Will your charger come on on the other cart ?
Good question. The "borrowed" charger is one in front of the campground store which I am assuming is a courtesy charger for people who "opportunity charge."

I don't know anybody here, and it seems 99%+ of the carts here are Club Cars. Maybe I'll find somebody here who will let me try it on their cart.

Good idea, and thanks.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No fuse.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is kind of out of left field but I did run into it the other day so I'll mention it. Has the cart you're trying to charge been sitting for an extended period ? Is the plug handle going all the way in and seating good ? The reason I ask these questions, this is the time of year that "dirt dobbers" are active and building concrete bug incubators in every hole they can find. I saw that last week on a TXT and the handle wouldnt go in to make contact. I had to poke it out with an ice pick to get it cleaned out for the charge handle. Odd, but happens.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
This is kind of out of left field but I did run into it the other day so I'll mention it. Has the cart you're trying to charge been sitting for an extended period ? Is the plug handle going all the way in and seating good ? The reason I ask these questions, this is the time of year that "dirt dobbers" are active and building concrete bug incubators in every hole they can find. I saw that last week on a TXT and the handle wouldnt go in to make contact. I had to poke it out with an ice pick to get it cleaned out for the charge handle. Odd, but happens.
Cart has been running and charging for about a month. Brand new batteries about a month ago. Been charged through perhaps 10 full cycles no problem. Not used every day, but has been driven a fair number of miles. I'm beginning to doubt the "working" charger I tested it with is working. We shall see. I have been using it here for about a week with no charging issues until last night.

Of course, this sort of thing only happens when you are on vacation and a long ways from home.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Murphy doesn't wait until its convenient for you MC!

I'd double check the connections for the receptacle wires. If you got 36v at the receptacle then sounds like the charger is a dud OR the ac outlet isn't working.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Clean the outside of the negative radsok in the cart's charging port and the auxiliary contact in the chargers output plug.

Attachment-2 is the charger port and plug with covers off showing auxiliary contact touching outside of negative radsok. The is where the PW 28115 charger senses the cart's battery pack voltage.

---------------
If push comes to shove, bypass the relay in the PW charger. The charge profile is built into the ferroresonant transformer and capacitor pairing and will drop down to about 7A (or less) when the batteries reach about 90% charged and running 7A through them for 16 hours won't hurt them any. Might even help them that PW is what you use at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clean Aux contact.JPG (26.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2460 aux contact circled.jpg (294.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO