lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
97txaggie
Not Yet Wild

Angry Slow & ? about drive mechanism

Okay - I'm a self proclaimed golf cart ritard! :) I bought an older cart (EZGO, I think early to mid 80s) about a year ago. It ran as fast as any cart I've seen when I got it, but I only paid $300, so I figured something was fishy.....well, it was. We got it home, drove it about 2 miles, and it just quit. After cruising these forums, I tinkered some and ended up doing the HEI ignition swap. This seems to have worked somewhat, but the cart has never had speed since. The exhaust/muffler seem EXTREMELY hot, but heck, probably not abnormal. I did cook the muffler for quite some time (several hours) and that didn't seem to do much. I changed fuel filter, changed the plug, and still about the same - maybe marginally better - still nothing like it was. Okay - so that is a problem that I can't figure out - i'm stumped.

My next question is what makes the cart change gears so to speak ( like I said, I'm dumb!) - most carts seem to do this relatively easily - mine has to darn near die and still takes a LOOOONG time to actually rev the motor and take off up an incline -- once it does, it goes okay. I suspect this has to do w/ the motor having absolutely no power??

Anyway - that is way too long a post, but I would sure like some help---right now the cart is a yard ornament -- I am hoping to re-paint, lift, and spruce up quite a bit, but I need to have SOME hope that it will run normal again someday.

Thanks all !
Jay
97txaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
97txaggie
Not Yet Wild

Default some pics of the POS :)

Also - what is the deal in the last picture?? fuel adjustment? How does one go about adjusting this? Any suggestions - and I won't be offended, so don't worry.
Thanks for any advice!
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (49.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg cartengine.jpg (37.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cartfuel.jpg (49.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
97txaggie
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs down Re: Slow & ? about drive mechanism

any help??
I have an update anyway -- took it for a spin today - probably 1.5-2 miles...all of the sudden just shut down. Sat for a min or two and started right back up and drove it home. Seemed to get really hot after it died and on the way home .... .could it be starving for fuel??? It backfired repeatedly right before it died -- we were going a little fast though down a hill though too.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Slow & ? about drive mechanism

97 I have spent about an hour hunting for diagrams for your older cart and can't come up with one.

That is some home cobbled piping on there.

Check the compression and see what you have.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
97txaggie
Not Yet Wild

Angry Re: Slow & ? about drive mechanism

OKay --- I did the compression test tonight -- got 90lbs - not ideal, but for an older cart, this doesn't seem too bad does it? Let me know your thoughts.

I will add one other thing - the fuel filter never seems to have more than a dribble of gas in it -- new filter has been added too -- can the pick-up be plugged in some fashion starving it for fuel?? Just curious.
Thanks for any advice,
J
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

In the last picture that is an adjustable flow control valve but I can't tell if it is on the fuel line or maybe the oil injection line.
But def not factory, The fuel filter will not fill up, even if you manually fill it, it will settle back to almost nothing.
I'm not feeling the warm fuzzies with the 90lbs compression.
That along with marginal crank seals will cause issues when warmed up.
Pull the spark plug and try to describe how it looks, color, wet or dry, lot of carbon build up, any silver-ish looking stuff on it.
A lean carb adjustment will cause it to heat up which in turn will cause it to run leaner which will make leaner which.......you get the point, until it shuts down from a temporary seizure.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
97txaggie
Not Yet Wild

Spark plug is brownish - no oil/carbon buildup at all..not silverish either (not sure what that would imply), but anyway, it looks like it is probably igniting what is there pretty well.

Any other thoughts are sure appreciated! Oh, btw - that line is fuel - apologize for the bad pic, it was all I had at the time. I have that dial opened all the way counter-clockwise -- hoping that is dumping the most fuel, although I've jacked the cart up and ran it both ways and it doesn't seem to affect it any??

Thanks again,
Jay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO