lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
streetking
Not Yet Wild

Default My Workhorse smokes sometimes

I just traded my 99 club car cart in on a 2002 Ez Go Workhorse, the guy I traded with told me it smokes like a freight train sometime and then sometime not at all, the little bit I have got to ride it proved him right, sometimes may start it and no smoke even after 30-40 minutes of riding, then sometimes you start it and she is ready to fog the bugs... I checked and there is some oil in the bottom of the air box, what causes this ? The workhorse has a Jakes 5 or 6 inch lift, does that change anything on the oil level ? I notice the cart seems to set more level than the the lower front that most stock ones seem to have..... Thanks from the NEWBE
streetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: My Workhorse smokes sometimes

make sure you only have 1.5 qts of oil in the engine. when you lift a cart the dipstick will then read incorrectly. You may have 2 much oil in the engine which will cause it to burn oil. Drain all oil out, remove filter. reinstall filter and pour in exactly 1.5 qts of oil. mark dipstick of new height. Cart will still smoke due to oil being in muffler, but enjoy your ride as much as you can.

oil in the airbox could mean 2 things. 2 much oil or you have blow by around the pistons and its pushing oil thru the breather tube into the airbox.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

I would also add that to make sure you get all the oil out of the engine when you drain a lifted cart, you must jack up the rear of the cart. I got another .5 quart of oil out of mine by jacking up the rear the 1st time I changed oil. Then, as said above, measure out exactly 1.5 quarts of oil and fill. I'd use mobil-1 synthetic if I were you. Hope this helps.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
streetking
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I hope it is just over full, I am still using the original full line on the dipstick.... Thanks Again... If it is blow by could I take the tube off at the air box and eliminate the smoking until I get a chance to do some engine work ?
streetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes that would prevent oil from getting in the air box but if you plug the vent off it will build up pressure in the crank case and push a seal or gasket somewhere.
BLUE72CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO