lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Smile Yamaha Drive EFI or Carb ???

Hey Everyone,
I'm new here but have been lurking for awhile and knew that when I got serious that this was the place to be !
Anyway I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a New Drive and was told that I could still buy a Carb or the New EFI.
I see some of you have bought the Carb version but have been disappointed with the power and top speed.
Just wondered if anyone had the EFI and could give me some pros & cons.
Guess you can still add a power kit to them, just curious how the EFI is out of the box ?
Thanks, Bravo 3
Bravo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha Drive EFI or Carb ???

Wow, well I thought that someone would have had an EFI to compare, but I guess that they are just too new ?
Sure appreciate such a Great website to learn and meet New friends !!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you all soon !
Bravo 3
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I too have been looking at the new drives. I'm a huge Yammy fan and I gotta be honest. The EFI is what's really winning me over. Where I live is almost exactly one mile in altitude to the foot at my house. I travel from washington state to pheonix az a couple times a year to see family. Plus where I go camping is sometimes over 9000 feet. No more choking, and better fuel economy are pluses too. I'm an EFI fan. I've been tweaking efi for years and can't wait to see how much power I can get out of the drive's efi by tweaking the computer.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

We've sold some, I've driven and worked on them also. Yes there is no chokeing. For more power, I don't feel it. The BIG thing I like...no more cleaning carbs because of the dang ethonal the put in the gas!! That stuff is just killing the cars in my neck of the woods
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha Drive EFI or Carb ???

Thanks for the replies ! I too am a big Yamaha fan, when I rode dirt bikes thats all I owned.
The new EFI carts are priced $700-800 more than a carb version and even though that's alot more $$$, I think it's worth it. Like you said, no more choking or carb maintenance !
Plus this is going to be a permanent member of the family.
I live on a private street that has 3 very steep hills and everyone here has 9hp Club Cars and they struggle to climb up the street, so I was hoping that the 11.4hp Yamaha would have enough power out of the box to overcome that.
I guess I'm having some doubt's though, after reading about some of the members here that are disappointed with the power/speed that their new Yamaha's are producing.
Wonder how long it will be before mod's are available for the EFI ?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Plowmans built a 357 but not knowing if he is into efi yet. He was at 15hp or so.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll look into Plowman's.

JcXtreme - If you get an EFI, I would be very interested to see what kind of tweaks you come up with !

Smallblock - So you didn't feel any difference even in throttle response ?

Thanks again for your responses, I really appreciate your help & opinions !!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yeh, I guess throttle responce is better, but a correct running carb car can have good throttle responce also. Don't get me wrong, I like EFI, haven't done much tweeking on them other then turning up the govenor. I have learned..you must turn the key off (when not in use), that electric fuel gauge can drain the battery!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Smallblock, Thanks good information !
I was told that only the PTV came with a fuel gauge, so I guess all EFI carts come with one ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha