lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

Default 86 2pg runs then dies

Hey everyone! Its been a while. Here is the skinny.. im fixing up a 86 ezgo with a robin 2pg in it. It was run out of oil. I completley rebuilt the engine (crank,bearing,seals,cylinder,piston and fuel pump). The thing with run perfectly for about 30 sec and then start misfiring and die.. i have tested spark. And fuel flow is great! I deleted the oil pump and premixed the gas 40:1. Any ideas? Thanks so much!
johnusarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
hetoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 86 2pg runs then dies

checked muffler? i just got a ez go 2 stroke that had been doing that starting and dieing like your saying. i took the carb apart and cleaned it good, cleaned all the rest of the fuel system and took the muffler off and barbecued it for about 6 hrs. ( built a big mesquite fire and threw the muffler on it and left it till the fire burned out and everything cooled off, it burned all the old oil residue out ) it runs great now. maybe that would help.
hetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

I havent tried that.. i know the muffler has some stuff rattling around in it. I think the baffles broke loose. I guess maybe thats the issue. Also i seen someone post about premix being 128:1. I have ;"mine mixed at 40:1... is 128:1 correct mixture?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

128:1 is correct or 1oz per gallon at 40:1 the plug may be trying to foul or in fact the muffler now may be plugged.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

Hmm.. I will have to drain that fuel out and try re mixing it to the proper ratio. Like I said the baffle is rattling around inside the muffler.. I do feel a good flow of air though coming out.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

installed a new spark plug and changed out the fuel. Im running the cart off a gravity feeder tank and letting the fuel pump just run the fuel back to the tank. still same outcome. the exhaust seems to be flowing freely. It runs for 30 seconds and then sputters out and dies.. Im so frustrated by this thing and just about to scrap the hole deal and call it a loss..
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

On the top of the carburetor is a breather tube to allow air into the chamber as the fuel level falls. If this gets blocked it will give you the symptoms you see.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

im gonna pull the carb again (3rd time) just to triple check the float height and that little tube. Im sure its clear though cause i drained the carb by turning up side down thru that hose.. It almost seems like its running out of fuel then dies. It will instantly start up again and run for 10-15 sec then sputters till it dies. Pulling the choke makes no difference either and voltage is at 13.8 when running... Im lost!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

Ok, I was watching the inline spark tester while running it in the garage with the lights off. It starts off nice and bright and goes for 30-50 seconds and then the tester dims and the engine starts sputtering/ backfiring and dies. I can instantly start it right back up and it does the same thing. Im thinking time for the HEI upgrade. Anyone have any links to a good thread on how to install??
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Scroll to the bottom for HEI instructions.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO