lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
JustGolf
Not Yet Wild

Default g16 will not fire, it acts like it needs choked

This is my first post and I have read through the archives(which usually have the solution I need) and did not quite find what pertained to my problem. My cart will not start. By this I mean it acts like its a cold day and the choke needs pulled. When you pull the choke nothing happens. I found that the fuse under the box by the battery was blown so I upgraded it to a 15 amp fuse. It still will not start. I am not sure where to go next. I don't think it is the solenoid or starter because the engine turns over it just won't go ahead and take off. Any help would be great.
JustGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 will not fire, it acts like it needs choked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGolf View Post
This is my first post and I have read through the archives(which usually have the solution I need) and did not quite find what pertained to my problem. My cart will not start. By this I mean it acts like its a cold day and the choke needs pulled. When you pull the choke nothing happens. I found that the fuse under the box by the battery was blown so I upgraded it to a 15 amp fuse. It still will not start. I am not sure where to go next. I don't think it is the solenoid or starter because the engine turns over it just won't go ahead and take off. Any help would be great.
Welcome!! Your G16 has a magneto ignition system, so if the starter turns over the engine all the time , you would have a compression/fuel or spark problem. If you turn the engine over by hand..can you feel strong resistance...IE: compression. I usually recomend a dynamic spark tester for checking spark..if no spark, check the Blue and Black wires coming from the front of the engine and connecting to the wire harness. I have seen some "TCI coils" go bad, but normally the work till they get warm and then you lose spark. I have seen choke cables come loose at there holdown point on the carb, you can pull the choke ,but it can't actuate the choke shaft. You can take the fuel line off at the carb and turn over the engine to see if fuel is coming out of the fuel pump. The "pulsar" line from the engone to the fuel pump could be "clogged" not alowing crank case pressure to "drive" the fuel pump. Take the pulsar line off at the fueal pump and blow back into the engine..do you feel any resistance? you shouldnt. Try the tests and let us know what you find. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
JustGolf
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply back. I was just assuming an electrical issue since the fuse was blown. On a side note what are the problems that can arise from up sizing the fuse(15 amp) or is the situation ok. The motor has what I would consider great compression. I do not have a dynamic spark tester but I did the ole' screw driver in the wire trick and it shoots a sizable spark to ground. The choke cables are hooked up properly and move freely. The cart just wont go so we will assume it is not the "TCI coil". I blew through the following lines of the fuel system: pulsar line from the fuel pump to engine, fuel filter to bottom of the tank, fuel filter to the pump and fuel pump to the carb. No resistance was felt on any of them. I also replaced the fuel filter. This leaves me to believe that the fuel pump has gone bad. Is this a correct assumption? Please let me know what you think.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum JustGolf...............
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
JustGolf
Not Yet Wild

Problem solved! A small piece of the pickup tube in the gas tank broke off and got into the fuel pump. once the piece came out of the fuel pump it pumped fine. I talked to the guys that had borrowed it and they said after it quit running they tried to get it running for quite a while. I suspect the starter overheated and blew the fuse. Thanks for all the help. I now know my cart inside and out. Also a great and helpful resource is Rod at TNT Golf and Equipment(http://www.tntgolfcar.com). He answered a few questions for me even though I did not need to buy anything. My first stop when I have problems again will be this forum and then on to TNT for the parts.

Tags
g16 fuse chugs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha