lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
ilcartman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Newbie with 89 Carryall problem

Hello all, great informative forum I stumbled upon. Of course I've always wanted to lift and make the ol carryall go fast, but then disaster. One day working and now not. It's completely stock, 1989 carryall w/ old style flat head. Not getting a spark, or when slightly depressing the accelerator get a spark but not enough to start engine. I've read a few posts regarding issue but I have already replaced the "exciter" under the flywheel and tested the coil and is "within" ohm range, cant seem to find the rpm limiter on this old style. played with a few switches in the black box, blew it out with air and it ran fine around the yard, got off and back on and same problem no spark, getting plenty of fuel though. Please help getting the DT's from not using the cart around the farm, riding lawn mower not gettin it!!!!
ilcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
doolin
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie with 89 Carryall problem

I don't know about the spark problem but, here is a pic of my 98 carryall w/ a 13hp Honda Clone. I bought this cart without an engine for $350 so that's why I have a clone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (54.9 KB, 25 views)
doolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome illcartman, Sounds like you were close to it when you cleaned out the black box. Lots of wires in there. Possibly one loose or fatigued connection at the microswitch leading to your problem?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum ilcartman...................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
ilcartman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update since original note, I replaced 4 micro switches the two in the black box that the accelerator push against, two connected to the forward back , and talked to tom at dixie parts that many members reccomended and replaced the external coil that connects to the internal coil under the flywheel. ( both parts replaced now). Put it all together and still a little spark only when letting off the accelerator, same/similar as before. Everything spins while on electric, but gas engine won't start, as soon as I let off the accelerator I get one spark when it starts to touch the bottom switch in the black box. If I hold the accelerator down and keep flipping the bottom switch I get more sparks.....Still confused, I dont have an rpm limiter on this older carryall. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
johnscram
Gone Wild

try putting it in nuetral and start it by jumping the two big terminal on the solenoid and give it throttle directly from the carb
johnscram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

on top of the external coil is there a small black box? if so thats the limiter.......have you tried a new spark plug and plug wire............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is it in maintenance mode? if it is in maintenance mode it will only fire in Neutral. Hence you get some spark throwing the lever back and forth?

Sounds like you have replaced alot of good parts and done everything short of diagnostics. Time to pull the test light out yet?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
ilcartman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: Newbie with 89 Carryall problem

shadowman, I dont have a little black box on the external coil, I doesnt have a rpm limiter. I pulled the flywheel back off to see if the keyway slipped and I'm out of time but no it was still in place and hadn't slipped. Still frustrated not sure what to do. scotty b you suggested timing light, not exactly a small block chevy something I'm familiar with. How do I test w/ a timing light to see if out of time?. Haven't tried jumping the solenoid, will try that today. I don't think I have in maint mode, I attempt to start in forward or reverse, not neutral.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

not a timing light.....a test light. Have you check your ignition circut? you got to get juice coming in first....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car