lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
BCSurvivor08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Painting the top of my CC DS

I finally got the color code for the paint that was used on the cart body so now I am ready to paint the top to match.

I've read a thread here about the steps to take and the adhesive promoter, etc but I have a "deeper" question.

The company TCP Global has the correct paint code color so I called and talked with someone there today and after his recommendations I am looking at purchasing the following products:

- AE-ACRYLIC ENAMEL "C" COLOR
- SLOW URETHANE REDUCER 85 DEG. & UP TEMP RANGE because I am in Georgia LOL
- WET-LOOK ACRYLIC ENAMEL HARDNR

Of course I have no idea how to mix all this stuff but I assume the directions will be on the containers.

I told him what I was painting and he said the type paint didn't matter it was the adhesive promoter that would make it successful.

So has anyone painted their top with this kind of paint or does everyone just use black or white sold at auto stores?
BCSurvivor08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
BCSurvivor08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Painting the top of my CC DS

I bought all the painting supplies today. I will post pics as I go along and I can't wait to be done!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The acrylic enamel will work just fine, just make sure you stick to the mixing ratios on the directions.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

good luck
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
BCSurvivor08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well it was a total BUST and I wasted a whole Saturday and $100.00.

I was given the color code by the body shop that painted my cart, given directions by the company that mixed my paint and both were completely wrong.

The color was too dark and not even the same shade of yellow, but I didn't know it until I brought the top home and held it up next to my cart. The whole time I was painting it, I was thinking it was not exactly the right shade, but I was in a warehouse where the lighting wasn't the best and in the corner where there was shadowing so I chalked it up to bad lighting.

The sheet that accompanied my paint said to use 40psi at the gun and 8 - 10psi at the nozzle. It was splattering and running. Wasn't until I was about 3/4 done that I found actually 60psi at the gun and 40 psi at the nozzle gave me a nice even spray...... By then I was out of paint.

I decided it was "good enough" for the holidays and I would get more paint and "fix" what ran and wasn't completely covered. So I brought the top home and low and behold it is not the same shade of yellow as I had feared. And it is really obvious.

Also, I did all the preps as I have read here and according to the paint people and the Bulldog adhesive promoter did not work worth a hoot. If you bumped the top it would peel and scratch.

Which actually turns out to be a blessing since I have spent this afternoon REMOVING that $100 with of paint.

I am, however, very thankful that I didn't spend $300 having a local body shop paint it since the paint code was wrong!! For that I give much thanks to the Lord!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

bummer !
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I always hear stories about people painting their tops and it seems to be hit or miss... I thought about it but ended up buying the new top cover that up to par sells. They have almost any color and they are custom fit to your model year top. slips right over the top.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
BCSurvivor08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
I always hear stories about people painting their tops and it seems to be hit or miss... I thought about it but ended up buying the new top cover that up to par sells. They have almost any color and they are custom fit to your model year top. slips right over the top.
I really want my top to be the same color as the body. Chances of finding the right shade of yellow in a cover is probably harder than getting the right paint code.

If I decide to give up on what I really want, I might look into a white cover.

I found the exact shade of yellow in my acrylic craft paints. I am going to take a sample piece to a body shop tomorrow to see if they will help me find the correct code. Then I will probably bite the bullet and pay them the $300 to have them paint it.

At least that way if it doesn't "stick" it will be on them instead of me.

It was really humid this week down in here in GA - I wonder if that hurt the "sticking" ability of the adhesive promoter. Waiting for a low humidity day in GA in the summer is like waiting on an apple tree to grow peaches.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

$300 seems like a lot for just a top most people I see post on here pay like $500 for the whole body
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

But I do see what your saying let them deal with it if they screw up and it peels the next day hahaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint