lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
Bay Beagle
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G16A Clutch Question

I've searched most threads ..... still can't resolve my problem. Cart was doing fine - then it went south - lost power, but engine running great. Looked at my clutch assembly, (where the belt rides) .... I do not see the clutch making the belt ride up higher on the sleve, to give me power. Pulled the cover off, gave it a few doses of grease, still can not get the sleve to move towards the belt. Got just a tad bit of free play, but not what is needed. Was told to bath it in transmission fluid, and tap lightly to get it to move - is this the proper protocol??

Thanks in advance
Bay Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Tawas
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16A Clutch Question

sounds like it time to call Don at plowmans for a new clutch..DO NOT get a aftermarket clutch..post pic with cover off
Tawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually those are the yamaha clutches with rollers inside, they go bad after many miles and get flat spots then it does not shift. Not real cheap to fix but do last a long time with new rollers. Or you can put a different clutch on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

Im working on both of my clutches as we speak. Mine were working but sounded like a box of rocks. Opened up the primary and rollers were flat spotted, sheaves were worn and s/g pulley had a big chunk out of it so I replaced the whole thing with a new yamaha primary ($375 from Plowman's). He can rebuild them to better than new for $150 but mine wasnt a candidate.
To me it sounds like the arms inside yours may be seized. All you gotta do is take the 3 outer bolts out to remove the outer cover and inspect everything inside. Hope this helps.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
bootsyj
Not Yet Wild

Yeah. Mine is really noisy ..... Don't really feel the shift into high...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
bootsyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also make sure your secondary is moving freely. If it's "stuck" in the low gear position, the primary will not be able to pull the belt up higher.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
bootsyj
Not Yet Wild

Pulled my bed off today.. My secondary clutch is not moving in and out at all.... But I think its stuck in high.. Not low.... And the shaft going in the trans. Has a little ply in and out....

Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsyj View Post
Pulled my bed off today.. My secondary clutch is not moving in and out at all.... But I think its stuck in high.. Not low.... And the shaft going in the trans. Has a little ply in and out....

Where does the belt ride on the secondary? Is it near the top or at the bottom?
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

When the cart is not running the clutch should be closed causing the belt to ride on the top. Throttling causes the clutxh to spread apart causing the belt to move down. Hope this helps.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
bootsyj
Not Yet Wild

The secondary is working fine...... Feel it changing into high gear now..... Was not getting enough rpm..... Ty

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha