lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Converting 08 Precedent to key start

None of these ideas are new, but I thought I'd consolidate them in a single thread. These mods involve bypassing some safety features so BE CAREFUL.

1. Read the sticky on wiring diagrams. Kudos to all the contributors in that thread. The color version matches my 08 Precedent almost perfectly. If you skip this step and instead probe around with a free Harbor Freight multi-meter expect to add 2 hours to the project.

2. Lift the seat and find the yellow maintenance toggle on the shifter linkage. Use a tie wrap to secure the first microswitch (the one closest to the rear of the cart) in the closed/clicked position. The cart now thinks it is always in gear, so you can start the cart in neutral and shift gears without killing the engine.

3. Locate the idle set screw on the carburetor and back it out far enough so the engine will stay running but won’t engage the clutch. On mine I first had to remove a Torx screw holding a small metal cover to reveal the set screw.

4. Remove the rubber floor mat, open the floor panel, find the white wire with the black stripe, and then cut it. This wire normally grounds the magneto and kills the engine when you take your foot off the accelerator, so breaking the circuit will allow the engine to keep running. I put spade connectors on mine so I can reconnect if necessary, but you could also just tape them off and tuck 'em away.

5. Remove the old key switch from the dash and install the new 3-position (off, run, start) switch. Mine is a
Stens 430-109. Stens 430-109.
I had to Dremel off the mounting post behind the dash because the new switch has a shorter threaded section. The terminals and wire colors line up as:
G or M-/black: Ground
M/white-black: Connects engine magneto to ground when key is in the off position
P/red: 12+ fused connection from the battery
L/blue: Sends 12+ to the starter solenoid when key is in the run position
S/New wire (hereafter referred to as orange): Sends 12+ to over the wire when key is in the start position
6. In the stock configuration the starter solenoid is triggered when the shifter microswitch and throttle pedal complete a connection to ground. We need to flip this model to a 12+ trigger from the key switch. Remove the existing wires from the solenoid then tape them off out of the way. Route the orange wire from the starter switch to the engine compartment and connect it to 1 terminal of the solenoid. Connect the other terminal directly to ground. That should do it. Turn the key all the way and your cart should start up.

Here are a couple threads I borrowed from:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...dle-setup.html
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...key-start.html

Please comment if I’ve made any misstatements. Stay tuned for a follow-up post where (for no real reason) I modify the setup for both key and accelerator pedal start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1775.jpg (180.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1769.jpg (144.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1773.jpg (175.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1770.jpg (171.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1778.jpg (195.9 KB, 0 views)
kshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Converting 08 Precedent to key start

Wow! that is a clear and concise write up! (with pics!) Nice job!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

nice job
ericandrews331@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
kshoemaker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I first thought dual pedal/key start would be simple. Return to the original solenoid wiring, but use the start wire to trigger a relay that would complete the ground leg of the circuit. However, in the start position the Stens ignition switch only sends 12+ over the S/orange wire and not the L/blue. So, I added 2 standard 5-pin automotive relays instead.

In "passive" mode, the relays flow the current through the original wiring. The relays go "active" when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. 1 sends 12+ from the ignition switch and the other completes the path to ground.

This setup is completely unnecessary, but what else ya gonna do on a rainy Saturday when there is beer in the fridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1784.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (124.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pedal-start.jpg (52.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Key-start.jpg (52.5 KB, 0 views)
kshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
JeffSylvia
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So this second step is what is needed as well for the mod ?
I send you a PM, I know this is a old post.
Thanks for any info !
Jeff
JeffSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car