lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2005 Precedent GCOR Disection

G'day All,

I thought I'd document this process to help others save a decent chunk of change. The cart in question is a customer's '05 Precedent gas that was completely submerged in our recent floods. This led to all kinds of corrosion, terminals falling off when wires corroded through and all inside a day or two of coming out of the floods and being thoroughly hosed down.

The engine was full of water and the trans had some, it wouldn't crank and testing gave all kinds of weird meter readings so it was back to basics. The GCOR is supposedly open circuit on one switch and closed on the other with the pedal at rest. With the pedal pressed, these situations are reversed. I had a continuity in both directions, white to black and orange to green.

A new grey import GCOR here is $A539, the cheapest in the US on Ebay was $A262 plus freight. To try and save the custojer some $$ and to satisfy my own curiosity, I decided some surgery was in order. There was definitely water inside, don't kid yourself that they are a sealed unit. There is even a drain hole in the bottom of one side that let out a decent amount of water every time the GCOR was shaken.

So, surgery it is and I'm assuming you already have your Gcor out or at least the pedals unbolted so you could test the switches. Initially I was cautious given I didn't know what was where internally. I started out with the knife in the photo. Using this method it quickly became apparent that my finger count wouldbe reduced before I got it open,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (428.3 KB, 0 views)
Rob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #2
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2005 Precedent GCOR Disection

Plan "B" was the Dremel with a thin wheel. After several cautious passes that didn't release the cover I upped the ante and went full depth.
Take your time and use safety glasses if you go this route as the amount of plastic pellets thrown off is considerable.
After twice around the perimeter with the Dremel at full depth the lid was still stuck tight so I went to flat blade screwdrivers, easing up a corner to get a larger one in and rotating to raise the side some. Eventually I went gung ho to be rewarded with some resounding cracking noises. Work your way around a few times if needs be and it'll come off in the end. I got one crack in the cover but IO plan to silicone it back together and will give that a daub to seal it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4887.jpg (433.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

This is what you'll find when the lid comes off. An over priced plastic box with two micro switches embedded in silicone sealant.
The only place you really need to be careful with the dremel is at the curve where the rotating plastic section is located.
As you can see, there's still a bit of water in there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

A couple of close ups of the switches, the first with the pedal at rest and the second when depressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4890.jpg (243.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4891.jpg (147.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-15-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Remove the two long self tapping screws that hold the switches in place.

I then grabbed the large chunk of silicone where the wires go in on the outside and started working it up and down while putting some tension on it and the silicone sealer let go fairly quickly. If needs be you could slip a small knife down the edges of the socket in the box to free it up some before doing this.

This is what actually pops out. The spade terminals connecting the wires to the switches are buried in the silicone sealant. be sure you know which switch goes on which side (Normally open vs normally closed) or you'll have a surprise waiting when you get it all back together.

Jaycar Electronics in Australia sell the switches, in the US it'll be Radio Shack or similar I assume.

At this point I am going to let the switches dry out overnight and see if the shorting goes away before I proceed further. If yours are shot, carefully cut away the sealant with an Exacto knife, take photos so you know what wires go where and which switch is which. Reconnect the wires to your new switches, screw them in situ and replace the old silicone sealant with fresh then do the same for the lid. I'd rubber band it on and let the sealant cure overnight before reinstalling.

Now you can go and spend your hard earned savings on something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4892.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Someone is making a fortune making and selling those. Got a few dollars worth of parts in it! Great break down though Rob.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Cheers Jeff,

I put the switches in the sun for the day but one still was shorting in the open position. I brought them inside and put them in the oven for 2 hours on 50'C (122'F). That did the job and they now work as they should.

Reassembled the whole box and dice, put the cover back on the box with silicone sealant and left it lightly clamped in the vice overnight to dry.

It went back into the customer's cart this morning and everything now works as it should. He's extremely happy that he no longer has to walk around doing his post flood cleanup and has saved a good bit of coin in the process.

This is something easily accomplished at home, substitute a hacksaw for the Dremel if needs be, just be careful around the curved side that you don't go too deep and cut into the plastic shaft.

I'll add a reassembled pic later just to finish off, back to the grind stone here now.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-20-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Ok just a final pic of the GCOR sealed with silicone to round out the topic. You don't need or want gobs of the stuff, just enough to bulge a little like this and a smeer around the wiring grommet where it enters the box. Mine got a bit messy there but it's sealed regardless.

Cheers,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4893.jpg (167.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4894.jpg (145.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car