lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default re: Lockman1's DS idle setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
Anyone ever try hooking up a toggle switch to this wire to change back and forth. I like the pedal to shut off the engine but at times would want the motor to keep running so I could leave the headlights on.
That's a cool idea!

Sadly, it wont work on my cart, because the starter/generator doesn't really start charging until the rpm's are just a bit higher,
And if I idled it higher, then my cart would start to "creep",
The 200 rpm clutch spring would probably fix that, but I'm good with the way it is now!

I've run my lights for at least 20 minutes w/o the engine running, and it didn't kill the battery,
With a strong battery, and a good charging circuit, you should be able to also!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Keeter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lockman1,

I agree with it trying to creep but I was thinking of putting it in neutral to let idle and run the lights. At my hunting camp I would like to let it idle and warm up in the morning and I think installing a toggle switch would work just fine. I will try this and let you know.
Keeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It won't idle in neutral... forward and reverse only!
(another microswitch safety feature, and I'd prefer you didn't bypass that one also!)

In most cases, when I warm my cart up, I'll start it in forward, set the brake, and let it idle that way.
(within "visual" at all times, and NEVER longer then 5 minutes.)

You'll have to remember that golf cars were'nt designed like automobiles, and should'nt be treated as such!

disclaimer:

I... anyone on this forum, or... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using,
or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!

my .02
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
Sams
Not Yet Wild

OK, I followed LOCKMAN1’s instructions (#4 post in this thread) and it didn’t work. I have an 86 cart so mine might be a bit different. There are 2 switched stacked. The bottom one is the kill switch and the top one is the solenoid switch. I removed the black wire from the bottom switch but it still shuts down when I let off the accelerator. The reason why is because the top switch (solenoid) still actuates and shuts off the solenoid. Am I missing something?
Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #25
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
(Note: I don't know if this works for PRE-1992 Club Cars!)
I don't know, only because I'm not familiar with the KF82 ("flat head") engine, or any of the wiring!

You might want to reread some of the previous posts in this thread... apparently there are ways!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #26
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'd like to thank you for the idle setup tip!

I just did this to my 2001 CC DS and find it really helps with the cart doing snowplow duty to have it able to idle in gear.
I might do that switch idea Keeter mentioned. I was thinking of running the wiring up to the dashboard and placing the switch right by the low oil light.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #27
Keeter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Buickguy,

I installed the toggle switch and it does work. This lets me put the cart in neutral and flip the switch. The cart will idle and warm up and when you flip the switch the cart will kill. I put the cart in forward/reverse and hit the pedal. Works great for my situation. May not be the safest thing to do but I am the only one who drives the cart.
Keeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Keeter.
I didn't do the neutral switch bypass, just the idle switch disconnect but the switch idea would allow a quick change from idle in gear to no idle. The way I figure it, idling in gear comes in handy when plowing snow or the occasions I have to run down the road. Other times there are uses where the shutoff from the pedal would be handy.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #29
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=kimmer71;390966]Another note on this:

I added the 200 rpm drive clutch spring from CPP and it really helps with this mod. The oem spring wants to engage at a very low RPM so it's difficult to adjust the idle plus the engine wants to stumble on accel. With the new spring, I could adjust the idle up a bit and it eliminated the accel stumble.

I just completed this mod with spring and micro switch by pass. I had to raise up the rpms to around 980-990. I get a jerky start but works pretty good and having to up the rpms will give me a creep if I don't lock the brake. It is like so many other mods you can do, most are just short of ideal. That is what happens when an engineer for EZGO devotes months of time and testing to set up the original method and someone comes along with minimum time and testing and creates another way of doing things. I am not sure that I will keep the mod, but I am going to give it time to see which is better, original or this mod.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #30
miamibugwild
Not Yet Wild

This could not have been easier to do and it works perfect on my cart. I can switch from fwd & rev with no problem. Big thanks for the tip.
miamibugwild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idle, idle fix, idle mod
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car