lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Davet18
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Precedent Not Charging

I am new to the forum and appreciate all the good information. My 2010 precedent has been sitting idle for months, except used by friends. When to take it out and it was dead. Charger was plugged in.

I searched the forums and it seems that the charger was not kicking on due to low voltage. I charged each battery to around 7 volts so I have 42.5 between #1 battery positive and # 6 battery negative.

Plugged charger in and it clicks and the needle jumps to 4 and drops back to zero instantly. From other posts I figured the OBC might need to be reset. I tried to reset the OBC with the following procedure;

• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse to Neutral
• Tow/Run Switch to Tow
• Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
• Put the Tow/Run to Run
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse
• Key Switch to On
• Lock the throttle pedal down
The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in about 30 seconds. Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset.

The reverse buzzer does not sound? Is this the correct procedure to reset the OBC?

I also checked the wires on the back of the charging receptacle and they are tight.

When I check the voltage across the charging receptacle the voltages are as follows:

Black- Red 32.5 V
Gray-Red 37.8 V
Black to Gray 7.7 V

Is there any reason that the voltage across red-black is different than between #1 battery positive and # 6 battery negative?

What is the easiest way to get at/remove the Charging Receptacle. I thinking that might be the problem because in the past I have had to wiggle the charging plug to get the charger to kick on.

I appreciate any recommendations as to next thing to try????
Davet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Precedent Not Charging

On your cart to reset the obc all you need to do is unhook the pack neg. cable for 10-15 minutes and it should be reset. You are allowing the caps. To discharge.

Spray some WD 40 in the charge plug, both parts to clean them out and make them hook better.

See what this does for you.

You may need to charge the batteries with an auto charger to get voltage to about 42 volts before charger turns on.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet18 View Post
I am new to the forum and appreciate all the good information. My 2010 precedent has been sitting idle for months, except used by friends. When to take it out and it was dead. Charger was plugged in.

I searched the forums and it seems that the charger was not kicking on due to low voltage. I charged each battery to around 7 volts so I have 42.5 between #1 battery positive and # 6 battery negative.

Plugged charger in and it clicks and the needle jumps to 4 and drops back to zero instantly. From other posts I figured the OBC might need to be reset. I tried to reset the OBC with the following procedure;

• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse to Neutral
• Tow/Run Switch to Tow
• Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
• Put the Tow/Run to Run
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse
• Key Switch to On
• Lock the throttle pedal down
The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in about 30 seconds. Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset.

The reverse buzzer does not sound? Is this the correct procedure to reset the OBC?

I also checked the wires on the back of the charging receptacle and they are tight.

When I check the voltage across the charging receptacle the voltages are as follows:

Black- Red 32.5 V
Gray-Red 37.8 V
Black to Gray 7.7 V

Is there any reason that the voltage across red-black is different than between #1 battery positive and # 6 battery negative?

What is the easiest way to get at/remove the Charging Receptacle. I thinking that might be the problem because in the past I have had to wiggle the charging plug to get the charger to kick on.

I appreciate any recommendations as to next thing to try????
The charge receptacle Black wire goes thru an SCR inside the OBC that controls the charging rate,
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
in the past I have had to wiggle the charging plug to get the charger to kick on.
You have a broken wire in the charge plug cord.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Davet18
Not Yet Wild

jjance, is there a way to test if there is a broken wire?
Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Put an ohmmeter on each end of the wires in the charge cord. Do all three. While connected wiggle the wire near the big connector in case you have an intermittent connection. They should all read 0 ohms.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Davet18
Not Yet Wild

duh, that was a dumb question. I just did a simple continuity test and the charging cable is good.

I have read that there is a way to either bypass the OBC or to bypass the relay on the charger to force charge to see if it is either the OBC or the relay in the charger. Does anyone have instruction of how to do either for a 2010 precedent with a Powerdrive 2 charger? I have seen other writeups but not for this model.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bet it is a problem inside the charger itself............I have repaired many like that, the OBC is good because it senses the batteries, try a different charger, and if that works, send me your charger for repairs

Dale D
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car