lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Broken battery stud

Broke a battery stub on one of my 6 volt batteries. Looked for ways to fix. Found a nice video online from crash test dummy. Went to home Depot bought a 2" × 5/16 hanger bolt for $1.26. Drilled battery post down 3/4 inch and screwed hanger bolt right in. Very easy fix instead of buying a new battery. 20160922_165655.jpg

20160920_182639.jpg

20160922_170359.jpg
jdixon0631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Broken battery stud

Nice fix. You would have better contact , if the cable lug was bolted to the lead post, with out the nut on the bottom
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Nice fix. You would have better contact , if the cable lug was bolted to the lead post, with out the nut on the bottom
RIB, I agree with you, however, having done this repair to literally hundreds of batteries, it is almost impossible to get the hanger bolt in far enough to have a nice tight seal without the bolt on the bottom.

I have done it on a few in the past by simply putting the wire on while installing the hanger bolt, however when I later tried to remove the nut to take the wire off for cleaning purposes, the hanger bolt wanted to come out with the nut. By placing a nut in between the wire and the lead, it allows for easier removal with 2 wrenches similar to what we do with motor wires.

one thing I will note though.....

I typically use an uncoated hanger bolt (I prefer stainless when I can get them)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looked for a stainless hanger bolt. Only place I found any hanger bolt was lowes and home depot which only carry coated bolts.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I special order mine from ACE, however I also run a shop and keep boxes of them in stock. I could see where needing an individual hanger could be an issue.... I don't think the coating will be an issue, however, keep an eye on it just the same.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there some reason why you could not just use a section of threaded rod or cut the end off a threaded bolt. Heat it up with a propane torch and melt it into the lead, maybe screw it in while hot in the jaws of a slowly turning drill?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Is there some reason why you could not just use a section of threaded rod or cut the end off a threaded bolt. Heat it up with a propane torch and melt it into the lead, maybe screw it in while hot in the jaws of a slowly turning drill?
Reason I did it this way is I wanted it done right and last as long as possible. If you ever have to fix one try the way you explained. By the way how much does threaded rod cost. Expensive doesnt alway mean better
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO