lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Was GOING to clean the motor...

Nice cleanup job there!
Commutator has some wear but not real bad.
Should work fine. Keep us updated.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
OR you could send it to PLUM QUICK and have it rebuilt/upgraded. and would cost about half as much as a new motor.
i read up on their site what the upgrade entails, and it didn't seem they would be doing more than giving it a good cleaning, paint job, polish the armature parts, and a new bearing for the $225+ price +shipping (brushes and bolts. etc were all extra for example) and they mentioned cleaning and repair if needed the stater winding coils, not an upgrade or anything. (This is just based off what i read on their website, don't kill me if i am wrong or misspoke)

So i really didn't see much upgrading going on in that case. I think what i am doing currently is next best thing
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnegan View Post
i read up on their site what the upgrade entails, and it didn't seem they would be doing more than giving it a good cleaning, paint job, polish the armature parts, and a new bearing for the $225+ price +shipping (brushes and bolts. etc were all extra for example) and they mentioned cleaning and repair if needed the stater winding coils, not an upgrade or anything. (This is just based off what i read on their website, don't kill me if i am wrong or misspoke)

So i really didn't see much upgrading going on in that case. I think what i am doing currently is next best thing
Reduced to basic terms, the traction motors used in our carts consist of two electromagnets. One that is stationary (Stator or Field) and one that moves (Armature). It is the relative strength of the magnetic fields produced by those two electromagnets that determine if the motor is the Hi-Torque type or the Hi-Speed type, which are mutually exclusive properties and the motors we use are compromises of those two extremes.

However, if both the stationary and movable electromagnets can be made more powerful (IE: more turns of wire) the magnetic field density ratio can then be shifted is either direction to produce a motor with stock torque and more speed, or stock speed with more torque, or a bit of both, still using the same sized motor case. I'm fairly certain this is pretty much what PQ does to the stock motors sent to them.

Of course, if you are satisfied with the cart's performance, a local motor shop can recondition a motor and it will continue to have stock performance for several more years. If you have access to the needed knowledge, skills and tools, a DIY will have about same results.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

However, if both the stationary and movable electromagnets can be made more powerful (IE: more turns of wire) the magnetic field density ratio can then be shifted is either direction to produce a motor with stock torque and more speed, or stock speed with more torque, or a bit of both, still using the same sized motor case. I'm fairly certain this is pretty much what PQ does to the stock motors sent to them.
I would assume they do, only that part was just not specifically listed in their online description of what the job entails which is what i based my statement off of.. https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/
Old 03-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #15
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welp, all the parts came in today and I reassembled the motor...its still a dog.

Still works though so I think I'll throw it in a small go cart and let the kids finish it off.

Now to buy a high torque, 16mph-ish motor. Torque is more important to me if we are gonna have minimum 4 people plus all of our crap when going to the lake, plus it's hilly where I live.

My controller is already 400amp. Think I should upgrade my 200amp solenoid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20200331-141725_Speedometer.jpg (212.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO