lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger hums but shows zero amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I see, I didnt look closely enough. I thought you were referring to the outer cover present on one side, but not the other. My mistake.
No worries man, thanks for the response! Do you think that could be the issue though? Or would it not be cutting on at all if it wasn't making contact? I also know there's an option to bypass something in the charger and I wonder if this charger is setup that way where it would cut on even if it didn't make contact.
timstumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstumbo View Post
No worries man, thanks for the response! Do you think that could be the issue though? Or would it not be cutting on at all if it wasn't making contact? I also know there's an option to bypass something in the charger and I wonder if this charger is setup that way where it would cut on even if it didn't make contact.
If the relay on the control board is bypassed, the charger will turn on (hum) the instant it is plugged into an AC outlet, so a quick and easy test is to disconnect the charger from the cart and plug it into an AC outlet. If it hums, the relay is bypassed.

Also, with the charger case is off, you can see the wires plugged into the relay.

On the other hand, the missing insert doesn't explain the puff of smoke mentioned in your first post.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #13
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the relay on the control board is bypassed, the charger will turn on (hum) the instant it is plugged into an AC outlet, so a quick and easy test is to disconnect the charger from the cart and plug it into an AC outlet. If it hums, the relay is bypassed.

Also, with the charger case is off, you can see the wires plugged into the relay.

On the other hand, the missing insert doesn't explain the puff of smoke mentioned in your first post.
Ok, it's not bypassed because the charger doesn't cut on when it's not plugged into the cart.

So let's forget the smoke for a minute. Let's say the plug isn't making contact or is making bad contact. Would that charger cut on at all if that was the case?
timstumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstumbo View Post
Ok, it's not bypassed because the charger doesn't cut on when it's not plugged into the cart.

So let's forget the smoke for a minute. Let's say the plug isn't making contact or is making bad contact. Would that charger cut on at all if that was the case?
Yes, but it would shut off almost immediately since there is no load on the transformer and the on-charge voltage would rapidly climb above the predetermined cutoff voltage of 45V.

The control board is a semi-mart switch. The has to be about 30V between the black and red wires attached to it for it to close the relay and turn on the charger circuit (consisting of a ferroresonant transformer, a boost capacitor and two diodes) and when the voltage between the black and red wire climbs up to 45V +/-1V, the relay opens, or if that voltage isn't reached withing 12 hours the relay opens.

The red wire connects to the heatsink the diodes are attached to, which is connected to the carts main positive terminal via the ammeter, fuse and some wires and connectors.

The black wire is the tricky one. It connects to the battery pack's main negative terminals via a separate wire in the charger's output cable and connects to the OUTSIDE of the negative terminal in the cart's charge receptacle via the Auxiliary contact in the "D" plug, so the missing insert isn't part of the battery sense circuit.

In other words, the charger can sense the battery even though the negative charging wire in the output cable isn't connected, so the charger can turn on, but ought to immediately shut off because voltage out of the charger circuit will be at maximum since no amps are being drawn from the transformer.

The cart's charge receptacle needs to be fix, but that isn't why the batteries are no being charged.

Do a valid test on the diodes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW Charger Schematic - Batt sense traced.JPG (47.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #15
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes, but it would shut off almost immediately since there is no load on the transformer and the on-charge voltage would rapidly climb above the predetermined cutoff voltage of 45V.

The control board is a semi-mart switch. The has to be about 30V between the black and red wires attached to it for it to close the relay and turn on the charger circuit (consisting of a ferroresonant transformer, a boost capacitor and two diodes) and when the voltage between the black and red wire climbs up to 45V +/-1V, the relay opens, or if that voltage isn't reached withing 12 hours the relay opens.

The red wire connects to the heatsink the diodes are attached to, which is connected to the carts main positive terminal via the ammeter, fuse and some wires and connectors.

The black wire is the tricky one. It connects to the battery pack's main negative terminals via a separate wire in the charger's output cable and connects to the OUTSIDE of the negative terminal in the cart's charge receptacle via the Auxiliary contact in the "D" plug, so the missing insert isn't part of the battery sense circuit.

In other words, the charger can sense the battery even though the negative charging wire in the output cable isn't connected, so the charger can turn on, but ought to immediately shut off because voltage out of the charger circuit will be at maximum since no amps are being drawn from the transformer.

The cart's charge receptacle needs to be fix, but that isn't why the batteries are no being charged.

Do a valid test on the diodes.
JB, I was working with an older know good PW charger the other day and I thought I remember hearing a faint hum from the charger when plugged in even though it was not making up at the charge port. However, between my ADD, memory and my hearing, I could be wrong on either count, LOL
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
JB, I was working with an older know good PW charger the other day and I thought I remember hearing a faint hum from the charger when plugged in even though it was not making up at the charge port. However, between my ADD, memory and my hearing, I could be wrong on either count, LOL
Having worked with electrical and electronic gadgets for over 50 years, I believe most anything can happen and have seen my fair share of strange stuff.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO