lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Quadrider77
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid clicks on and then off

I bought a used golf cart that has been sitting for quite some time. I don't know the year, but it is a 36 volt EZGO PDS from the 2000's. It won't move. I am trying to bench test the components to figure out the issue. Everything seems to work, except when I slide the steel plunger into the ITS. The solenoid clicks on, but then right back off. If I hold the plunger with a very steady hand right at the entrance of the ITS, it stays on. Here is what I have done:
I have jumpered the solenoid (of course), and it stays energized. I swapped the solenoid with the same results.
The ITS puts out proper voltage, 0.9-2.8.

Key on / Fwd selected J1 terminals:
Reference voltage-37.4
1=37.5
2=0
3=37.3
4=37.5
5=37.5
6=37.2
7=37.6
8=37.4
9=37.4
10=0
For a fraction of a second when inserting the plunger, #6 drops to what I assume would be 0, but it immediately goes back up. Multimeters can only read so fast. I don't have a speed sensor plugged in. Also, the buzzer that is powered from the solenoid input and goes to #10 is not hooked up, but that shouldn't matter. Most people unplug them anyway.

Reverse is worse. Nothing works then.
Key on / Rev selected J1 terminals:
Reference voltage-37.4
1=37.5
2=0
3=37.3
4=37.5
5=37.5
6=0
7=0
8=0
9=0
10=0

What am I missing? Does it need speed sensor signals to stay energized? I have another PDS cart with a controller, but it acts almost identical. It runs most of the time, but then randomly shuts off while driving or won't start at all. Same issue, the solenoid won't stay closed. It also has something to do with the negative side of the solenoid coil. If I rig it to ground, the cart moves, but it doesn't go very fast. Maybe a couple mph.
I would appreciate any help with these carts. The broken carts are piling up. Thanks in advance.
Quadrider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid clicks on and then off

Connect the beeper, put controller into the diagnostic mode and listen for the error code(s).

Text at bottom of attached PDS label tells you how to put into diagnostic mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, J1 Pin-2 ought to have pack voltage on it when in Reverse.

Here are a couple more helpful attachments.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Quadrider77
Not Yet Wild

Have you ever bench tested a controller? I am just wondering if it needs speed sensor and motor signals. I'll find a buzzer and hook it up.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Quadrider77
Not Yet Wild

Tried diagnostic mode. Got nothin'. Pin 10 is not giving the buzzer its negative it needs just like Pin 6 not giving negative to the solenoid coil.
I did test the buzzer to make sure it works. It is very loud inside a small shop.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Never tried to bench test a PDS controller (Curtis 1026MX) always best to do troubleshooting in situ.

I'm pretty sure you have to have a motor connected, or equivalent loading.

Should get at least get one to four short beeps indicating which PDS mode the controller is in.

To get the solenoid to energize, there has to be battery pack voltage on all the wires highlighted in red on the schematic I posted above. If you have that and the solenoid doesn't click, the controller is bad.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO