lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear Driver Wheel Bearing

Hey everyone!

I wanted to thank you first and foremost, for welcoming me to the community!

2013 EZGO RXV

I'm getting a clicking from the rear, driver wheel/axle when it spins. I did a quick drive yesterday and didn't notice it so it may be once it's run some, but I'm not sure because I'm slightly scared to drive it until it's fixed. Lugs are tight and rocks in the tires are not the cause. I figure it is the wheel bearing so I've begun to try and hunt down a DIY video/diagram, but it seems a lot of the links are broken. I've done hubs on my truck, but not the bearing itself as I don't own a press. From what I understand a press is not needed, but a puller is recommended?

Also, I'm not sure if this is allowed, so if it's not I will remove, but does anyone have a recommendation as far as bearing kit for a 2013 EZGO RXV, such as part number or place to purchase? I'm not confident with what I'm looking for as this is my first cart and, well, looking for a cart is much different than looking for a truck.

Thank you!
Clifford04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Driver Wheel Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford04 View Post
Hey everyone!

I wanted to thank you first and foremost, for welcoming me to the community!

2013 EZGO RXV

I'm getting a clicking from the rear, driver wheel/axle when it spins. I did a quick drive yesterday and didn't notice it so it may be once it's run some, but I'm not sure because I'm slightly scared to drive it until it's fixed. Lugs are tight and rocks in the tires are not the cause. I figure it is the wheel bearing so I've begun to try and hunt down a DIY video/diagram, but it seems a lot of the links are broken. I've done hubs on my truck, but not the bearing itself as I don't own a press. From what I understand a press is not needed, but a puller is recommended?

Also, I'm not sure if this is allowed, so if it's not I will remove, but does anyone have a recommendation as far as bearing kit for a 2013 EZGO RXV, such as part number or place to purchase? I'm not confident with what I'm looking for as this is my first cart and, well, looking for a cart is much different than looking for a truck.

Thank you!
First take your wheel off and check to make sure your castle nut isn't loose. When they become loose they will make a clicking noise.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
First take your wheel off and check to make sure your castle nut isn't loose. When they become loose they will make a clicking noise.
Took the wheel off, castle nut was loose! Do you think i need to take the hub off to get the cotter pin in/out and retighten the castle nut?

Also, are you aware of the torque specs of all these items, or a place I can find them?

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Took the wheel off, castle nut was loose! Do you think i need to take the hub off to get the cotter pin in/out and retighten the castle nut?

Also, are you aware of the torque specs of all these items, or a place I can find them?

Thank you!
Tighten outside axle nut to a minimum of 70 lb-ft
(95 N•m). Continue to tighten until nut slots are
aligned with the hole in the axle shaft. Insert and
secure cotter pin.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a service/parts manual for the Dana/Spicer rear axle and a parts manual for the cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone!

I honestly have no idea what's been done to this thing, but it's got a lot of mods already on it. The previous owner didn't disclose everything, but you can tell it's got a lot done. It can definitely hit over 30 mph easily.

I tightened the castle nut probably another 3/8 to 1/2 turn so that was quite a bit!
Tightened lug nuts to 65 ft lbs.

I'll take 'er out over the next few days and see what happens. The hub was loose before I tightened the castle nut so I'm assuming that's what the issue was.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I honestly have no idea what's been done to this thing, but it's got a lot of mods already on it. The previous owner didn't disclose everything, but you can tell it's got a lot done. It can definitely hit over 30 mph easily.

I tightened the castle nut probably another 3/8 to 1/2 turn so that was quite a bit!
Tightened lug nuts to 65 ft lbs.

I'll take 'er out over the next few days and see what happens. The hub was loose before I tightened the castle nut so I'm assuming that's what the issue was.
Specs on lug nuts is from 50ft/lb to 85ft/lb and tightening is a cross sequence pattern in 20ft/lb increments, so your 65ft.lb is probably good.

I'm not sure about the RXV hubs, but a loose castle nut on the older carts with brake drums often caused the hub splines to strip. I can't remember hearing of an RXV with a stripped hub, so maybe EZGO solved that issue.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Specs on lug nuts is from 50ft/lb to 85ft/lb and tightening is a cross sequence pattern in 20ft/lb increments, so your 65ft.lb is probably good.

I'm not sure about the RXV hubs, but a loose castle nut on the older carts with brake drums often caused the hub splines to strip. I can't remember hearing of an RXV with a stripped hub, so maybe EZGO solved that issue.
Well I'm back after a short lived resolution. Hoping that castle nut didn't cause further issues now. Same wheel/hub, it now sounds like a creaking sound and is almost constant around the entire revolution. I've got a video I made, hope this help diagnose it.

https://vimeo.com/413350525

What are your thoughts on this?

I just want to get this thing to 100% to go watch the sunset!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

So its a common issue that the hub get loose. Forget the castle nut spec- tighten the **** out of it, if you have a good impact gun.
Problem is, if the hub was allowed to be loose for a while, it may have taken out the bearing and/or the axle.
But, try this first, remove the hub and put some anti seize on the axle splines, reinstall the hub, tighten the crap out of the castle nut and see if the noise went away. Do the same to the other side.

If the noise continues, you will have to pull the axle and check it and the bearing.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
Clifford04
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
So its a common issue that the hub get loose. Forget the castle nut spec- tighten the **** out of it, if you have a good impact gun.
Problem is, if the hub was allowed to be loose for a while, it may have taken out the bearing and/or the axle.
But, try this first, remove the hub and put some anti seize on the axle splines, reinstall the hub, tighten the crap out of the castle nut and see if the noise went away. Do the same to the other side.

If the noise continues, you will have to pull the axle and check it and the bearing.
How tight are we talking? I can go over 200 ft/lbs so I don’t want to break it haha.

Torque spec on the hub bolts?

The noise went away for about a mile and then started up, sounded much different than before. Last time it was a clicking, now it almost sounds grinding like. Should I do a full inspection instead of going back and forth? If it’s better to just replace something now, might as well...know what I mean?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO