lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Steallife904
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need help with speed options, lost

Ok so i am tired of my neighbors in the hood going past me when we are riding our carts. Time to fix that :). I have a Cruz cart by beast carts. Its pretty much a 2011 ergo txt that beast carts changed body, lifted and bigger tires. I checked a gps for my MPH and its right on 16mph. I have been told by a local golf cart shop it needs freedom mode unlocked and they will do for 100 bucks..... Does this sound accurate?

Another shop told me i need new controller and motor for 2500!!!!

Third shop gave me options for controller or motor............

So i am lost. One thing I'm confused about is can i change the controller only???? Controller only and leave stock motor OR do you have to change both. Then when does changing the solenoid come in???? Or should i just do the freedom mode unlock?

I changed to trojan batteries last year as well just for fyi. thank you all!!!!
Steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help with speed options, lost

I suspect your drive train is a TXT-48. If it is, replacing the stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) and a 200A (or larger solenoid) is probably all that is needed to save face in the neighborhood.
(About $530.00 for both at: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html)

On stock height tires (18" tall) a TXT-48 will do upward of 24 MPH and it might go faster with taller tires. (Low pressure tires can slow down a cart).

If it is too fast, the XCT is user programmable and the max speed can be turn down to whatever is comfortable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Steallife904
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I suspect your drive train is a TXT-48. If it is, replacing the stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) and a 200A (or larger solenoid) is probably all that is needed to save face in the neighborhood.
(About $530.00 for both at: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html)

On stock height tires (18" tall) a TXT-48 will do upward of 24 MPH and it might go faster with taller tires. (Low pressure tires can slow down a cart).

If it is too fast, the XCT is user programmable and the max speed can be turn down to whatever is comfortable.
Ok this is what i was looking for. It says TXTE-48V on the model number badge. Guessing that means TXT48. The tires are 22in tall.
-Is this something i could do myself (I'm decently handy and not afraid to if it isn't crazy).
-I can change just these 2 things right? Do not need to do motor as well? If not i prefer not to, trying not to go expensive.

Im guessing this is better to do then unlock freedom mode? :)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IIRC, isn't unlocking freedom mode on TXT48 just a jumper plug?

I'm pretty sure you can buy the plug on ebay or amazon for like $6. Then all you need is an 10 or 11mm wrench to take the cover off the controller and plug it in. I did it on one of the carts here at work a year or so ago and it was a blast for about a week until I was told to fix it back.

I would try the freedom mode first, it's the cheapest. Then look at the other options if still un-satisfied! However, I would do it myself, not pay someone $100.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steallife904 View Post
Ok this is what i was looking for. It says TXTE-48V on the model number badge. Guessing that means TXT48. The tires are 22in tall.
-Is this something i could do myself (I'm decently handy and not afraid to if it isn't crazy).
-I can change just these 2 things right? Do not need to do motor as well? If not i prefer not to, trying not to go expensive.

Im guessing this is better to do then unlock freedom mode? :)
I googled Beast Cruz and discovered it is built be Beast Hunting Carts, but didn't find out any specifics on the Cruz, however they mentioned they are using a Navitas controller in the current production of hunting carts, so your 2011 Cruz might not have the stock TXT48 controller. (Should be a label on it. Stock TXT48 used a Curtis 1026HB controller)

Best bet is to contact Beast Hunting carts and asked them what controller was used in your cart.
https://beasthuntingcart.com/about-b...nting-vehicle/

IF IT IS is a Curtis 1206HB, replacing it with a XCT controller and high amp solenoid is all that is needed to up the speed to the mid to high 20's.

In the freedom mode, the 1206HB rpm limits the motor to about 4400RPM which is about 19MPH on 18" tires and about 23MPH on 22" tall tires. About a 5% additional speed increase can be squeezed out of the 1206HB by someone having the right access level software. That kicks it up to a whisper over 24MPH.

The max a stock TXT48 motor will spin on a 48V battery pack is about 5600RPM, which translates to about 29.5MPH and the RPM limiting in an Alltrax XCT controller is user programmable up to 8000RPM, but it ought to be set to the manufacturer's recommended max of 6000RPM for a stock TXT48 motor, or lower.

If the tires are the low pressure type (Less than 10PSI max inflation pressure) the theoretical speeds I listed won't be reached due to the high amount of torque needed to turn soft tires.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
IIRC, isn't unlocking freedom mode on TXT48 just a jumper plug?

I'm pretty sure you can buy the plug on ebay or amazon for like $6. Then all you need is an 10 or 11mm wrench to take the cover off the controller and plug it in. I did it on one of the carts here at work a year or so ago and it was a blast for about a week until I was told to fix it back.

I would try the freedom mode first, it's the cheapest. Then look at the other options if still un-satisfied! However, I would do it myself, not pay someone $100.
No. The 36V PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) is the only one with the "speed chips" (Jumper plugs)

Need a handheld Curtis programmer and the $100 "Key" (One time use software) to get into the Freedom mode with a TXT48 (Curtis 1206HB)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Steallife904
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I googled Beast Cruz and discovered it is built be Beast Hunting Carts, but didn't find out any specifics on the Cruz, however they mentioned they are using a Navitas controller in the current production of hunting carts, so your 2011 Cruz might not have the stock TXT48 controller. (Should be a label on it. Stock TXT48 used a Curtis 1026HB controller)

Best bet is to contact Beast Hunting carts and asked them what controller was used in your cart.
https://beasthuntingcart.com/about-b...nting-vehicle/

IF IT IS is a Curtis 1206HB, replacing it with a XCT controller and high amp solenoid is all that is needed to up the speed to the mid to high 20's.

In the freedom mode, the 1206HB rpm limits the motor to about 4400RPM which is about 19MPH on 18" tires and about 23MPH on 22" tall tires. About a 5% additional speed increase can be squeezed out of the 1206HB by someone having the right access level software. That kicks it up to a whisper over 24MPH.

The max a stock TXT48 motor will spin on a 48V battery pack is about 5600RPM, which translates to about 29.5MPH and the RPM limiting in an Alltrax XCT controller is user programmable up to 8000RPM, but it ought to be set to the manufacturer's recommended max of 6000RPM for a stock TXT48 motor, or lower.

If the tires are the low pressure type (Less than 10PSI max inflation pressure) the theoretical speeds I listed won't be reached due to the high amount of torque needed to turn soft tires.

Yep i reached out to beast carts because there is almost no info out there for my exact cart. They advised its just a 2011 TXT48v cart with the lift and stuff on it. The didn't change controller for this one so it should be stock. I could open it up and tell what it is right????
they did mention to me they recommend and use navitas controllers for there upgraded carts. I am right now though leaning to the alltrax and solenoid like you mentioned. Im worried if i pay this guy to unlock freedom mode on my cart it won't make a big difference and i was the funds :). Its a hard one. Both it sounds like are going to get me going faster than 16mph like i am right now :). Either of the option any safer or anything on the stock motor?
Old 05-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steallife904 View Post
Yep i reached out to beast carts because there is almost no info out there for my exact cart. They advised its just a 2011 TXT48v cart with the lift and stuff on it. The didn't change controller for this one so it should be stock. I could open it up and tell what it is right????
they did mention to me they recommend and use navitas controllers for there upgraded carts. I am right now though leaning to the alltrax and solenoid like you mentioned. Im worried if i pay this guy to unlock freedom mode on my cart it won't make a big difference and i was the funds :). Its a hard one. Both it sounds like are going to get me going faster than 16mph like i am right now :). Either of the option any safer or anything on the stock motor?
Unlocking the freedom mode is going to be the least expensive and ought to get you upwards of 23MPH on 22" tall tires, unless they are the low pressure type.

The stock TXT-48 motor can readily handle 400A so replacing the stock 250A controller with a 400A by either Alltrax or Navitas ought to be fine.

I'm not all that familiar with Navitas, but for what I seen of the operator's manual, programming it isn't very user friendly. The Alltrax is fairly easy and some of the vendors will preprogram it for your cart.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
No. The 36V PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) is the only one with the "speed chips" (Jumper plugs)

Need a handheld Curtis programmer and the $100 "Key" (One time use software) to get into the Freedom mode with a TXT48 (Curtis 1206HB)
I can reprogram the stock controller and turn on Freedom mode without the passkey. 22" tires will be a challenge for the stock 250 Amp TXT48 controller, especially on hills. With the reprogramming and Freedom mode on, you should be able to exceed 25 MPH on the flats.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I can reprogram the stock controller and turn on Freedom mode without the passkey. 22" tires will be a challenge for the stock 250 Amp TXT48 controller, especially on hills. With the reprogramming and Freedom mode on, you should be able to exceed 25 MPH on the flats.
Hopefully the OP will see this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO