lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
offdutyagain
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie to RXV Electric

I purchased a 2008 RXV for our winter home in Florida and this past year had issues where the motor brake felt like it was sticking. You'd put the key in reverse, hear what sounds like a solenoid click, the back-up alarm would come on, but when you pressed on the accelerator, the cart would barely move.

I'd then put the key into forward, same result, although sometimes the cart would lurch and then drive fine. Most of the time, I'd have to cycle the key between off and reverse until the problem corrected itself.

I mentioned this to a local shop and they said they thought the motor brake was bad. Since we were going back up north for a few days, I had them pick the cart up and replace the motor brake with a new one.

When I returned, the cart ran well for about 4 days and the problem returned. In checking the motor brake, I found it either hadn't been replaced or had been replaced with a "used" unit. Our cart is a 48 volt model, the brake was tagged 36 volts. I brought this to the shop owners attention and he did the backstroke saying he wasn't a part of it and he wants to pick up the cart to "make it right."

I realize this is a long-winded explanation, but a couple of questions. First, I now notice that when I put the key in neutral and flip the run/tow switch, the brake doesn't disengage, allowing me to move the cart manually. Is there another issue? Second, I'm concerned about the "36-volt" tag on the existing brake. Should it have been a 48-volt unit?

I'm learning slowly about the maintenance of these units and the my big take-away from this venture is not to take it back to this shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
offdutyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie to RXV Electric

I won't know the answer to the 36v brake. But know this your solenoid is 36v, and that's how they came until about 2014 before they went with the 48v solenoid.
If you don't install a brake properly the brake will go bad again. Hopefully they didn't over torque the bolts. Torque should be set to 53 to 65 in. lbs (6-8 Nm).
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
offdutyagain
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response, does this sound logical that the motor brake was bad in the first place? And as I read your response, I think you are saying that if they over-torqued the "new" brake, the "tow" position switch would not allow the brake to release because of the over-torque.

I know that the recommended procedure is to loosely attach (finger-tight) the new assembly to the motor and then flip the run/tow switch and then torque from there. I don't see how they could have centered the brake if the run/tow wasn't working properly. Or am I still missing something?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
rib33024

No. He is saying if the brake was not installed right, the brake will go bad in a short time. If they over torque the brake bolts that will cause the brake to fail early. Nothing to do with the TOW switch
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
No. He is saying if the brake was not installed right, the brake will go bad in a short time. If they over torque the brake bolts that will cause the brake to fail early. Nothing to do with the TOW switch
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
offdutyagain
Not Yet Wild

OK, that I understand. But my run/tow switch worked prior to all the problems with the motor brake. Now it doesn't work at all. I'm just trying to determine if the original "repair" the replacement of the motor brake was the correct one or are there multiple problems since the car won't move with the key in neutral and the run/tow in the "tow" position.

The car is going into indoor storage in a couple of days and I want to make sure the storage company doesn't have an issue with it before I get back in November.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Likely the tow switch is fine and the brake is just not releasing because of a malfunction or improper installation. Also on my RXV the switch sequence is important. Switching the key to N and then switching tow switch to "tow" doesn't release the brake. Have to switch to "tow" first and then switch key to N. My RXV is newer but I don't know that it would be different.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
offdutyagain
Not Yet Wild

Well for a minute I thought you were on to something. I went out and did the sequence you recommended. I could hear the solenoid engage, but the brake still didn't release. It was a nice try.

Frankly I'm stumped and if I didn't have to drag it and a car back to Florida next year, I'd rent a trailer and take it home. The HOA where I live in Florida is pretty strict about "wrenching" on cars, motorcycles, and RV's so that's why I let a shop do the work. Not as big a problem in Michigan.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
offdutyagain
Not Yet Wild

Managed to find a 2009 Owners manual on line and the sequence is as you stated. It also says the "brake will release unless there is controller failure" Can the cart still function "normally" and have a partial controller failure? I'm thinking this thing may well be going back up north at the end of the week.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyagain View Post
Managed to find a 2009 Owners manual on line and the sequence is as you stated. It also says the "brake will release unless there is controller failure" Can the cart still function "normally" and have a partial controller failure? I'm thinking this thing may well be going back up north at the end of the week.
I think not, but I can't answer that. I know what I know from 20 years of golf cart ownership including 4 years with the RXV. I monitor this board a lot. I'm not a tech.
There is a so called "heavy duty" motor brake out there that doesn't play nice with the older RXVs. That is one possible explanation for the cart lasting 4 days after brake replacement. Also improper torque on the 3 bolts could have the same result. Both are known issues.
There are pros here who will have better answers. Give it a day at least it you can.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO