lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries swollen on the sides

Picked up a 2016/2017 Txt Cart that came with what looks like 2016 DC-8 Trojans. could never get them to charge completely. Removed them to inspect them and their all puffed out a little in the sides. Prolly a bad sign. So I’m replacing them with US batteries in the morning. Found a pretty good deal on a set here locally.
Nsmustang55ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Batteries swollen on the sides

I'm glad you finally came to that conclusion, but I bet you'll find that the new batteries have a tiny amount of "that bulge" too. Since your buying US batteries, keep a good schedule of cleaning them with baking soda & water, they have always been a little "messier battery" than trojan in my experience. They (US battery) push them "harder", with a little higher acid concentration, and slightly higher voltages. That means, in "chemistry terms", a little more performance in the shorter term, and slightly shorter lifespan. Not saying they are "bad", just that "chemistry doesnt lie too often". I'd take them over "cheapo batteries" any time, and I'd know I'll be spending a little more time cleaning them. Only buy their best AH versions.

(Every company can make "graphs" of how "theirs are better" than the competitors, I'm just speaking on what Ive seen in real life of thousands of carts, many "factory equipped" with both US & Trojan brand batteries)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

The US batteries I was quoted for are 155ah. I’ll ask about the higher one. It was gonna be $594 out the door for a set of 6.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure your charger can do the US Batteries.

Many chargers are set to charge Trojan batteries. If you go with US Batteries but charge with an algorithm for Trojans then you will be slightly under charging the US batteries.

I found where Johnnieb had posted about it https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=145675&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
US Battery brand batteries require a higher finish voltage than some of the legacy chargers reach. The old ferroresonant transformer type charger shut of someplace in the 44V to 46V range while USB batteries need 45.0V to 46.8V, or dV/dT.
It the legacy charger shuts off at less than 45V, the USB batteries will be chronically under charged and age quickly.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmustang55ol View Post
The US batteries I was quoted for are 155ah. I’ll ask about the higher one. It was gonna be $594 out the door for a set of 6.
The standard battery for a 48V pack using 8V batteries is 170AH.

Using 155AH batteries will give you less runtime/range on a single charge than you would get for a standard sized 36V pack.

Also, the cradle to grave lifespan will be shorter, so while the up front cost may be lower, the cost spread over the lifespan may be higher.

Get at least 170AH 8V batteries, or higher capacity
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

I have a Lester summit 2 charger. I’d hope for what I paid for it it can do the us batteries lol
Old 09-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Ended up getting the 170AH US Red batteries. I talked to BatteryPete and they said that my summit 2 charger will charge them just fine. so on the first charge, do I need to look at water levels? Or charge them 100% then check them. And so on and so forth.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmustang55ol View Post
Ended up getting the 170AH US Red batteries. I talked to BatteryPete and they said that my summit 2 charger will charge them just fine. so on the first charge, do I need to look at water levels? Or charge them 100% then check them. And so on and so forth.
You have to select the correct battery profile for the batteries.

Okay to check the water electrolyte level before charging, but don't add water (distilled water only) until the batteries are fully charged, unless plates are exposed and only add enough to cover plates, then fill to correct level after they are fully charged.

Attached is a SoC chart for US Battery brand batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

According to the Lester summit charge connect app. The us battery US8VGCXC2 uses the same profile as the Trojans I had.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO