lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
trstanley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default To lift or not to lift

Alright so I need some input from people that know more than me (which is probably everyone here). I have a 2016 RXV I got completely stock over the summer and slowly modding. So far nothing major, rear seat and some bigger steel wheels with 22" tires I picked up pretty cheap and put hubcaps on. Somehow they fit. It has freedom mode enabled. So here's the conundrum - My entire neighborhood was repaved last year so everything is very smooth with a speed limit of 20. The overwhelming majority of the time I am on road. So far the only "off road" has been driving through my brother's yard from time to time. I don't expect to do any trails or the like. I'm torn between a 6" lift with 23" tires vs. stock height on 14" rims with lo pro Stinger tires. I like the aggressive look of a lift, but it seems a bit overkill and not sure if it's worth giving up on road handling/cornering. With the lift I'm looking at around 26 mph, but if if I go with the Stinger tires at 20.5" I'd have one of the guys reprogram it to do the 30ish that people have mentioned. In my neighborhood I don't *need* the speed but more is always better. Same with the idea of lifting - I don't need knobby tires and ground clearance, but it's still cool to have. So does anyone have pros and cons of either or recommendations? I don't want to get into mods that are going to snowball into burning up a controller or other parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2204.jpg (355.6 KB, 0 views)
trstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: To lift or not to lift

Lifting and going with 23" tires will have adverse affects on your stock 235 amp controller, with or without programming. To go to the larger tires, it is recommended to go with the 350 amp Curtis controller. I too like the look of the lifted carts, but have only really done them on models other than the RXV. I did do a 3" lift last year on an RXV, but stayed with 20.5" tires on 12" wheels. I think it was the best of both worlds between looks and performance.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstanley View Post
Alright so I need some input from people that know more than me (which is probably everyone here). I have a 2016 RXV I got completely stock over the summer and slowly modding. So far nothing major, rear seat and some bigger steel wheels with 22" tires I picked up pretty cheap and put hubcaps on. Somehow they fit. It has freedom mode enabled. So here's the conundrum - My entire neighborhood was repaved last year so everything is very smooth with a speed limit of 20. The overwhelming majority of the time I am on road. So far the only "off road" has been driving through my brother's yard from time to time. I don't expect to do any trails or the like. I'm torn between a 6" lift with 23" tires vs. stock height on 14" rims with lo pro Stinger tires. I like the aggressive look of a lift, but it seems a bit overkill and not sure if it's worth giving up on road handling/cornering. With the lift I'm looking at around 26 mph, but if if I go with the Stinger tires at 20.5" I'd have one of the guys reprogram it to do the 30ish that people have mentioned. In my neighborhood I don't *need* the speed but more is always better. Same with the idea of lifting - I don't need knobby tires and ground clearance, but it's still cool to have. So does anyone have pros and cons of either or recommendations? I don't want to get into mods that are going to snowball into burning up a controller or other parts.
I have an 09 RXV . 23" tires. I have gone down the lift paths... I've also upgraded the controller to the 350amp. The stock controller was fine on the road but we also take the cart off road and hunting adventures.... so the 350 was a nice improvement.

First lift was to the jakes 6" spindle... did not like the height of the cart. Felt unstable especially at higher speeds.

Second lift was the jake 6" long travel. It drove quite well on the street as long as I was the only person in the cart. The LT kit was really at home off-road and was great for our hunting excursions. On the street I really noticed that I was roasting my tires because of the way the wheels would flare out when braking and with additional people in the cart. I took off the lift and still have it in a box.

I went and got a jakes 3" lift. Very happy with the stability and feel of the cart at all speeds.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=87609
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2016RXV I went with 12" wheels and 20" all terrain tires because about 30-50% will be dirt roads. The cart looked great, a lift wasn't needed for normal driving but we will be in some areas where we may bottom out so I added a 3" lift. I don't believe I need to go any higher than that. After the controller mod we are running about 30MPH. This is my wife's cart and she is extremely happy with it.
- Dave
Putting on fender flares and LED Dream lights underneath next. I might get ambitious and do the LED "wheel" lights too.
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
trstanley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. That's exactly the info I needed to sway me towards not lifting it and putting bigger tires. The next question is tires. Should I stick with a normal street tread or the Stinger AT tread? This is wheel I'm thinking, but not sure if it's worth the extra $60 over street tread.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I like the wheel and the tire looks like a a slightly less aggressive tread than I went with.

This is my wheel/tire combo. Like I said no need for a lift but I went with a 3" for more off road clearance.
The picture is from an ad, it's not my cart.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
trstanley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I like those rims. My brother has tires with a similar tread pattern as yours and I can hear him coming 100 yards away from the humming on asphalt. His are 23" though. I'm hoping the Stingers don't have much road noise but I need to find someone on here that has them.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstanley View Post
I like those rims. My brother has tires with a similar tread pattern as yours and I can hear him coming 100 yards away from the humming on asphalt. His are 23" though. I'm hoping the Stingers don't have much road noise but I need to find someone on here that has them.
Yes they do sing when on asphalt! But they sure grip in the fields, dirt & gravel! Just by looking at the Stinger tread I'd guess they will be much more quiet than mine.
- Dave
Old 11-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd definitely go with the A/T tires
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO