lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
ToyoDieHard
Not Yet Wild

Question How To Test Your Batteries

What is the best way to test my carts batteries and how do you do it?

Believe I have a bad battery that is drawing down the other batteries when my cart sits for several days without use.
ToyoDieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Gorhad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How To Test Your Batteries

What voltage cart do you have and then we can go from there
Gorhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoDieHard View Post
What is the best way to test my carts batteries and how do you do it?

Believe I have a bad battery that is drawing down the other batteries when my cart sits for several days without use.
Do you have a voltmeter? If not, then you need to get one before proceeding.

This is by no means a 100% fool proof method but will get you pretty close short of having an actual battery load tester.

1. Charge your batteries till complete and let the batteries rest. Reference this chart. Take measurements and get a base line. Write the readings down so you can reference. Take individual batt. readings and the over all pack.

2. Jack the cart up and put it on jack stands so the rear wheels are off the ground.

3. Pull the seat off and set aside.

4. Connect the voltmeter to the entire pack. With the key on and the holding the brakes FIRMLY. Press the throttle for a few seconds, the motor will not turn because of the the brakes and will simulate a full load. Make note of the voltage drop on the pack.

5. Then repeat step four, for each individual battery, if you note one or two that fall well below the others... Then that's a 95% chance that's your bad battery/s. If you find one that is bad and your pack is older than say 3 years it's better to replace the entire pack.

I've done this many times and it's been successful each time, just don't hold the throttle down more than 8 seconds or so, so you don't overheat anything.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The way I have checked battery condition for over 65 years is by using a hydrometer ( NOT MULTI FLOAT ) with temp correcting scale. Check against rate of charge chart in STICKYS. The only draw back is that this test is that after adding needed water and fully charging to mix water and acid and waiting ONE HOUR.
One strange thing I have found with Club Car carts is numbers 5 and 6 ( under driver side ) seem to go first for an unknown reason?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
ToyoDieHard
Not Yet Wild

It's a 48 Volt cart
ToyoDieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
One strange thing I have found with Club Car carts is numbers 5 and 6 ( under driver side ) seem to go first for an unknown reason?
12v accessories connected to 5 and 6, e.g., lights, radio, etc?
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Accessory draw from part of battery pack could be shortening battery life IF #5 and 6 ARE BAD FIRST? Many carts show # 5 and 6 bad first even when draw is from full pack 1-6 48 volt etc.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car