lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Another question about installing a converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf35099 View Post
You got a point. Since I'm in there now, might as well put the heavy stuff on. I only need to run the 10awg to the converter input (48v), right?

Thinking all the wires heading to the different components can be 12awg or 14awg.
Actually if you are going to use a junction block to pull accessories from then I'd use 10g from the batteries to (+) & (-) input on the converter and 10g for (+) junction block & (-) grounding block. For example I'd wire the accessory plug/cigar type for the full 30a, (thinking of mine if I upgrade to the 30a converter,) using 10g. I'd run the lights @ 12g, radio @ 14g, etc. as needed.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

gsf35099, here is the general rule of thumb for wire gauge. 14 AWG for 15 amp draw or less, 12 AWG for 20 amp draw or less, 10 AWG for 30 amp draw or less. You can run the 10 AWG wire to power the converter and then follow the list I posted depending on what the draw is of the component being powered. If you pull all items off 1 wire then add the amp draws together to get that size. I hope I have done a good job of explaining this.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass88 View Post
gsf35099, here is the general rule of thumb for wire gauge. 14 AWG for 15 amp draw or less, 12 AWG for 20 amp draw or less, 10 AWG for 30 amp draw or less. You can run the 10 AWG wire to power the converter and then follow the list I posted depending on what the draw is of the component being powered. If you pull all items off 1 wire then add the amp draws together to get that size. I hope I have done a good job of explaining this.
Just make sure that wire will not be larger then 10g and fuse it at no more then 25a since that's your peak amp output, even though the wire can handle 30a.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass88 View Post
Thanks, this definitely helps. The plan is to run the items through their own wires. I like the idea of putting a bus on after the output and then pulling from there to all the different items. I can run 10awg to the converter and 10awg to the bus and then the other gauge wires needed to each item.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Just make sure that wire will not be larger then 10g and fuse it at no more then 25a since that's your peak amp output, even though the wire can handle 30a.
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to place a 25amp fuse between the converter and the bus I plan to install. Thanks for the advice.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car