lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo pds

working on first ezgo pds model...cart runs jacked up for about 30 sec. then stops and beeps once. put it in diag. mode no codes, start it back up, when it stops beeps 2 then one. Batteries are holding 37.8 while running. any ideas? thanks
Elitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo pds

In diagnostic mode, a 2-1 beep code is Low Battery Voltage.

Attach your DVM to the B- and B+ terminal on the controller.
What is the voltage right before the beeper beeps?

Also, no beeps at all when it goes into diagnostic mode? Should be at least one beep.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

when going into diag. mode it does beep once. checked voltage on controller, it drops to about 22 volts before cart stops. I hooked up a 12 volt charger to 2 batteries and voltage stayed above 36 but cart still stops. then it beeps 3-4 and 4-3 indicating solenoid problem but you can still hear solenoid click when starting, but cart will not start again for about a min. or more.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
1. when going into diag. mode it does beep once. 2. checked voltage on controller, it drops to about 22 volts before cart stops.
3. I hooked up a 12 volt charger to 2 batteries and voltage stayed above 36 but cart still stops.
4. then it beeps 3-4 and 4-3 indicating solenoid problem
5. but you can still hear solenoid click when starting, but cart will not start again for about a min. or more.
1. Cart is in All Terrain mode. (aka Golf mode) No plug in J2, or one without any jumper wires installed.

2. If the battery pack voltage is 37.8V (which is less than 90% charged) as reported in your first post and is 22V at the controller under load, you've got bad solenoid contacts or bad connections or bad cables.
The voltage between B+ & B- when under load, should be identical at the B+ & B- terminals on battery pack and at the controller B+ & B- terminals.

3. I'm not entirely sure why anyone would run or attempt to run a cart with a 12V charger connected across two of the six 6V batteries. Doing so will imbalance the battery pack. Do you not have a 36V charger?

4. Beep code 4-3 is a Solenoid drop out. Beep code 3-4 is an Open Field Winding.
Might be that the controller is tossing false error codes due to the low voltage.

5. Solenoid clicking is a good sign. The delay before it will attempt to run again may be the time it takes for battery pack to recover from the previous attempt.

Personally, the first thing I would do is fully charge the battery pack. (38.2V 12 hours after charger automatically shuts off.)
Next, I'd attach a DVM across the main positive and negative terminals of the battery pack and attach another DVM across the B+ & B- terminals on the controller. (DVMs aren't expensive)
Then I would monitor the two DVMs while the cart ran or attempted to run.

If the DVM on the controller dropped lower than the one on the battery pack, I'd fix the cables, contacts and or connections between pack and controller.
If the DVMs stayed the same, but the voltage dropped significantly, I'd fix the battery pack.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is likely there's more than one problem at work here. This could also be a controller failure.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

might have been wrong on the second code number, it was the one for solenoid welded..yes, do have the 36 volt charger, but cart will not run when plugged in, used 12 volt just for a little extra voltage, might not be the right thing to do on this cart, all cables are in very good shape, connections are clean and tight, I will try to do another test later and write down everything so I don't misinform you.
I appreciate the help. Could any of this problem be in the feed from accelerator to controller? If I just barely push pedal, the cart will run longer, but if I push pedal all the way down cart stops almost immediately.

thanks again
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like Scottyb suggested, it's likely that there is more than one problem.

Probably the best approach would be to start at step one and work forward.

1. Power supply
2. Solenoid activation
3. Controller & high current Cables
4. Throttle
5. Motor

Charge the battery pack until charger automatically shuts off.
Let batteries rest several hours to deplete the surface charge. (12 hours recommended)
Measure total pack voltage and individual battery voltages.
Pack should equal 38.2V, batteries should equal 6.37V. and the difference between highest and lowest battery voltage should be 0.1V or less.
Any battery(ies) whose voltage is greater than about 1V lower then rest is(are) probably bad.

Once we are sure that all the batteries can be charged to something that approaches a full charge, we can move on from there.

-------------------

For future reference, you can get a cart to run while the charger is attached by bypassing the Reed switch.
The smaller of the three wires coming out of the charge receptacle that connects to the red wire in the wiring harness is from the Reed switch.
Jumper the red wire to the main positive terminal on the battery pack and cart will run while charger is connected.

------------------

You have low amp flow when the pedal is barely pushed and high amps when it is floored.
Symptoms described indicate a battery pack failing under load, or one that is deeply discharged.

-----------------

The error codes appear to be bogus and are probably being generate by a low voltage condition.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

thanks, will try all that Monday and let you know what I find..got to get to cutting grass before wife kicks butt...try out new bearings in mowing deck...thanks again
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Like Scottyb suggested, it's likely that there is more than one problem.

Probably the best approach would be to start at step one and work forward.

1. Power supply
2. Solenoid activation
3. Controller & high current Cables
4. Throttle
5. Motor

Charge the battery pack until charger automatically shuts off.
Let batteries rest several hours to deplete the surface charge. (12 hours recommended)
Measure total pack voltage and individual battery voltages.
Pack should equal 38.2V, batteries should equal 6.37V. and the difference between highest and lowest battery voltage should be 0.1V or less.
Any battery(ies) whose voltage is greater than about 1V lower then rest is(are) probably bad.

Once we are sure that all the batteries can be charged to something that approaches a full charge, we can move on from there.

-------------------

For future reference, you can get a cart to run while the charger is attached by bypassing the Reed switch.
The smaller of the three wires coming out of the charge receptacle that connects to the red wire in the wiring harness is from the Reed switch.
Jumper the red wire to the main positive terminal on the battery pack and cart will run while charger is connected.

------------------

You have low amp flow when the pedal is barely pushed and high amps when it is floored.
Symptoms described indicate a battery pack failing under load, or one that is deeply discharged.

-----------------

The error codes appear to be bogus and are probably being generate by a low voltage condition.
charged batteries, battery pack good, finally gave in and replaced solenoid...all is well.
thanks for all the help and tips that I will use in the future. codes were for solenoid drop out and solenoid welded...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO