lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Alltrax stock motor max RPM

What are you guys seeing as the max RPM's your stock motor can reach? My controller is set at 5800 RPM but max rpm's hover around 5200ish max. Not looking to blow up my stock motor but was wondering what others are able to hit.
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax stock motor max RPM

If you are maxed out on your controller amperage/voltage, then that is all your pack is capable of pushing that cart in "as found" conditions.

I use to run my stock motor at 5500 rpm's.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If you are maxed out on your controller amperage/voltage, then that is all your pack is capable of pushing that cart in "as found" conditions.

I use to run my stock motor at 5500 rpm's.
What was your max AMP setting?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock motor will rarely pull more than 200-250 amps, and then only for a few seconds assuming good batteries. If battery voltage drops significantly then the amperage draw increases significantly and rpm (speed) goes down too.

In a case where the tires are too big for the little stock motor or battery voltage is dropping a lot rpm potential is reduced.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The ADC stock motor is pretty robust and it will handle 400 amps on the Armature for starting without problems (My experience).

When my Lead Acid Batteries were over 5 years old I reduced the Battery Amps setting to 250 amps (The Armature amps stayed at 400 amps).

That allowed the pack to keep the voltage UP during take offs, and that resulted in a higher speed sooner as the pack voltage did not have to recover much.

That was with standard 18" tires.

The stock motor is not a great match for bigger tires due to its lack of Horse Power (not torque) so it cannot handle that much load at higher speeds.

I would lower the Battery Amps setting since allowing the Motor to access more amps when starting than it can convert to motion will only cause the motor to get hotter rather than give you noticeable increase in performance.

As mentioned by ScottyB, at cruising speed the Motor will never use that many amps and the lower battery voltage caused during the start will not allow it to spin faster.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The ADC stock motor is pretty robust and it will handle 400 amps on the Armature for starting without problems (My experience).

When my Lead Acid Batteries were over 5 years old I reduced the Battery Amps setting to 250 amps (The Armature amps stayed at 400 amps).

That allowed the pack to keep the voltage UP during take offs, and that resulted in a higher speed sooner as the pack voltage did not have to recover much.

That was with standard 18" tires.

The stock motor is not a great match for bigger tires due to its lack of Horse Power (not torque) so it cannot handle that much load at higher speeds.

I would lower the Battery Amps setting since allowing the Motor to access more amps when starting than it can convert to motion will only cause the motor to get hotter rather than give you noticeable increase in performance.

As mentioned by ScottyB, at cruising speed the Motor will never use that many amps and the lower battery voltage caused during the start will not allow it to spin faster.
I’m set at 400 now and my pack is about a month old (Trojan 875). How low should I go?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try 300 amps for Battery amps and 400 amps for Armature Amps then test drive the cart.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nutshell, I assume you have looked but are you sure you're getting 100% throttle?

Sergio, question in rearguards to your comment about lowering the amperage's to improve recovery time. It makes 100% sense and I am going to play with that on my cart. My question is what the controller is doing vs. a straight battery connection to motor like in a resistor cart at full go. I noticed when I first updated to solid state from resistor (no motors, batteries, or anything else at that time) while watching the volt meter the recovery time was significantly more than when I had the resistor setup. Does the controller "push" more amps than the motor can "pull" and that's the cause of it?
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
Nutshell, I assume you have looked but are you sure you're getting 100% throttle?

Sergio, question in rearguards to your comment about lowering the amperage's to improve recovery time. It makes 100% sense and I am going to play with that on my cart. My question is what the controller is doing vs. a straight battery connection to motor like in a resistor cart at full go. I noticed when I first updated to solid state from resistor (no motors, batteries, or anything else at that time) while watching the volt meter the recovery time was significantly more than when I had the resistor setup. Does the controller "push" more amps than the motor can "pull" and that's the cause of it?
Yes, I've logged a few test runs and that how I identified a bad MCOR. I was just wondering if the stock motor was even capable to reaching 5800 RPM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Try 300 amps for Battery amps and 400 amps for Armature Amps then test drive the cart.
Sorry, I'm a little new to all of this. By lowering the battery amps, it will lessen the draw from the pack?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car