lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

Default A 48v charging problem

The charger on my 97 cc 48v would not come on so tried another charger and same thing.I bypassed the obc and the charger came on.I replaced the obc today and plugged the charger in and it went straight to 20 amps.Charger did not read the batteries if it did this so I assume it won't shut off when finished charging.Batttery voltage at rest is 50.28 and batterys are 6 months old.Sure could use some help on this.
Thanks,Tom
ltmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
chemk
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: A 48v charging problem

How do you bypass the obc to test the charger? I think have the same problem.

Thanks Pete
chemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

50.28 is discharge state. How long did the charger stay at 20 amps?
Also if batteries are very low charger can not 'see' them and will not come on. In this case you need to pre-charge them (w/ 12v) to a state where the charger can read them, see why you need a voltmeter?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemk View Post
How do you bypass the obc to test the charger? I think have the same problem.

Thanks Pete

Pete. WELCOME to the BGW forum!
Proper battery and charging system analysis requires a simple voltmeter at the least. You need to be able to tell WHAT your charger should be doing before you can say 'it's not working'. OBCs do go out but, it is cheaper and better in the long run to get a tester and diagnose the problem before you start replacing parts with little or no rsults......IMO.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
chemk
Not Yet Wild

I do have a multimeter and my batts are up to 45+ volts.
I don't use the cart a lot and left the charger pluged in and it has been fine for a while but my wife went to use it and it was so dead it would bearly even go. so I used my 12volt charger to get them up to 7.5 ea and now I am trying to figure out what is wrong.
Sorry for steping on your post itmoller.

Thanks Pete
chemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

Let me see if I can put this to rest.Ibought this cart knowing the charger did not work.The charger worked on another cart so I narrowed it to the obc.Replaced the obc.The charger came on.Charger would not shut off.Upon further investigation I noticed an additional gray wire comming out of the yellow fuse holder that was connected to the negative of the 12 v reduced.I disconnected this wire and all is working as it should.Why someone would have added this wire and connected it to the negative block for the 12 v reducer I just don't know.
Tom
ltmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

itmoeller, glad to see you searched the problem out.It may have been an obc bypass- that would have allowed any other (non-obc) charger to work.
chemk, 7.5, your batteries are still too low for the charger to see them. Keep charging with the 12v until you get 8v. your pack is at 45v and just alittle too low for the charger to come on. It is bad for the batteries to be taken down so low and will it will deplete their ability and lifespan. IF you get them charged up, keep them above 48v. a fully charged pck will read 52 to 54 volts.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
beyondbuild
Not Yet Wild

my 1st post, I have a 98 & 99 48v ds. Both same problem: battery light long on,off, short on, off. Constantly repeating. Seems like a pair of bad obc's??? and I can't find the answer to the question "how do I bypass the obc"
beyondbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

When you say bypass the OBC you mean for charging it? Just run a cable from the last negative terimnal to the charger plugin. The charger want ever turn off you will have to watch it or buy a wall timer or a new charger.
Here is some posting off another site on this. Hope it helps.

Quote:
stan platt

I AM BYPASSING MY OBC ON MY 2000CC BECAUSE THE CART IS ONLY CHARGING ABOUT 2 HOURS. I RAN A JUMPER FROM THE SOLENOID (YELLOW WIRE) AND CONNECTED THE OTHER END TO THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON THE SIXTH BATTERY. THE CHARGER IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY HOWEVER I AM SMELLING A PLASTIC BURNING SMELL. THE ONLY THING THAT FEELS WARM TO THE TOUCH IS THE SOLENOID. IS THIS TO BE EXPECTED?
Quote:

By passing the OBC will not always get the charger to turn on. It is more used to get the cart to run if it is not running. You can however try it and see what happens.

14 gauge wire, run it from the yellow wire on the SMALL post of the solenoid to the main battery negative. (the one the the OBC wire hooks too). Give it a try.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
beyondbuild
Not Yet Wild

That did the trick, and thanks so much!
beyondbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car