lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default MGB golf cart idea

I recently acquired something similar to this..only it doesn't seem this big.

It is an MG, stripped and blasted, with some replacement panels..but most gone.

I want to but a standard Dana golf cart rear end, a long travel front end, and use a large HP big block for power ?

what do you think ?

csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: MGB golf cart idea

I think it would be a cool project!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Put it on a scale and then figure out how much more weight you would have to add to complete it and then re-evaluate your power to weight ratio ...... then start figuring out where you are going to use it???

Cool car but it needs 150-200hp min.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Notice you ABFM plates in the pic ... I've attended quite a few here in WA and OR. Had a blast checking out all the cars. I've worked with 2 different clubs ... PNW Metropolitan Owners Club as well as Seattle Area Mini Owners Association. Still have my '61 Mini and '61 Met. Have had a couple MGs and other Minis, too.
I agree that the MG body is too heavy - even with fiberglass panels it would be a bit much.
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Put it on a scale and then figure out how much more weight you would have to add to complete it and then re-evaluate your power to weight ratio ...... then start figuring out where you are going to use it???

Cool car but it needs 150-200hp min.
But that would defeat my purpose, Scotty.

I should get an Obama loan for this project. I sort of traded a banjo for the car..lol, by proxy.. I am big blocking a CC
for the banjo, which is now in the hands of previous car owner. It has lots of J.C. Whitney stuff with it.

I can get a brand new locking Dana differential for less than 5 bills.
I can get a complete long travel and mod it to fit for a little more.

The shell of this car is not much heavier than my cart (the one is the picture is not it, but they are unibody) so I figure at max a 35 Kohler with high speed gears installed should be a nifty street legal sports car.

I have a title.. lol. I am positive a 35 Kohler *fixed up a little* with high speed gears would push it just fine..

its coming, but at the rate I get these things done with my youngest in college and the other ones poppin out babies..sheesh..

add disc brakes and the other stuff, would make it mechanically neat for around town..
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

How about a bike engine? There are some unfinished projects in the for sale section.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What you have is an MG Midget or an Austin Healy Sprite. I used to be into British sports cars. I think it would make a Cool cart project!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Simple Man - I disagree that it is a Midget or Sprite. Definitely a "B". Simplest clue --- look at the fender on the pic you posted ... just in front of the door. Note the vertical line of the front of the door, then note the line running parallel just in front of the door. Also note how that line turns forward (and upward) at the bottom and flows into the front wheel cut out. That line was present even in the earlier Sprites but has never been on the "B"s.
Please excuse my poor memory of the proper nomenclature for the body panels ... I have close to 30 manuals/books and numerous older catalogs I could look them up in, but it just isn't worth it right now.
Nice looking Midget, BTW. About a '77, isn't it? Are those MiniLite wheels?
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUBADOUR View Post
Simple Man - I disagree that it is a Midget or Sprite. Definitely a "B". Simplest clue --- look at the fender on the pic you posted ... just in front of the door. Note the vertical line of the front of the door, then note the line running parallel just in front of the door. Also note how that line turns forward (and upward) at the bottom and flows into the front wheel cut out. That line was present even in the earlier Sprites but has never been on the "B"s.
Please excuse my poor memory of the proper nomenclature for the body panels ... I have close to 30 manuals/books and numerous older catalogs I could look them up in, but it just isn't worth it right now.
Nice looking Midget, BTW. About a '77, isn't it? Are those MiniLite wheels?

I will post some pics of the actual car, then tell me what it is....lol
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

The one pictured is a "B", I did a frame off restoration on a 71' and absolutly loved it! The wire wheels you have are very desirable right now. If your's is smaller, it very well could be a midget.
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center