lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
IcyFrog2
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Solenoid Problem

I have a 2005 Club Car DS IQ 48 volt cart and the solenoid has pre charged resistor and diode on it my question is the small bars on solenoid both read zero volts with key off and left bar reads 50.20 volts with key on I assume this wire (blue/white stripe) is to F/R switch and the right bar reads 50.60 volts with key on I assume this wire (blue) is to key switch the contact studs are like this also red cable from 1st battery to right side stud solenoid 50.60 volts and the yellow cable on left stud solenoid to controller 49.60 volts how would you connect a voltage converter with a remote switch to the solenoid would you use keyed right side bar with 50.60 volts or the keyed left side bar with 50.20 volts or how thanks in advance for replies.
IcyFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid Problem

Those readings look odd because the Solenoid is not energized. The blue/white wire will go down to 0v once the pedal is pressed and the controller activates the solenoid.

If your Voltage Converter has a "trigger" wire, the Blue wire side of the solenoid (the same as the stripped end of the diode is connected to) is the correct location.

The main power for the DC-DC converter should come straight off the pack positive battery.

If Your converter does not have a trigger wire, You should use a charger relay if You want it to come ON-OFF with the key switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
IcyFrog2
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Solenoid Problem

Thanks Sergio let me see if i have this straight the two small bars on solenoid have no voltage when key switch is off they both have voltage when key switch is on yes i understand the pedal part although not jacked up to see that part of equation just was going by what multimeter said I do have a DC/DC converter I purchased off Amazon it is a 30 amp with 5 wires instructions on converter say red wire 48 volt positive input black wire 48 volt negative input yellow wire 12 volt output and black wire 12 volt public ground it says on bottom fine red/white wire for 48 volt output to electric door lock output can not be treated as input or immediate damage to module will occur but the instructions included from seller who actually has this converter hooked up to his cart say put fine red/white wire together with red wire 48 volt fused 15a/250v input and wire to side of solenoid which you stated above and 48 volt negative wire to controller B- this did work first time but I swapped batteries out for new and then it always blew fuse on 48 volt input side so based on what your saying is run red 48 volt input wire to battery and the 48 volt output/trigger wire to keyed positive blue wire side solenoid and 48 volt negative can stay B- on controller and should work I am confused why his worked and mine wont with same set up.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Assuming I mentally placed the punctuation in the proper places... You bought a converter from a seller that does not understand the product he sells, has no clue how golf carts work and provided You with instructions translated from Chinese by someone with poor knowledge of either language (public ground, door locks???).

This is how I think it should be connected.
  • Red: +48v Main Converter input from pack positive
  • Black: -48v from Controller B- terminal (smaller gauge if black wires are of different size)
  • Yellow: +12v Output to accessories
  • Black #2: -12V Output to accessories (bigger gauge if black wires are of different size)
  • Red/White: +48v Remote trigger wire to turn converter ON/OFF from blue solenoid wire or cold side of Key switch.

Welcome to BGW and consider using site sponsor vendors in the future, these guys really know their products and everything about golf carts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
IcyFrog2
Not Yet Wild

awesome Sergio I will try it that way and yes I understand where your coming from I myself did not believe you could hook up an 48 volt input and 48 volt output line together but i do follow instructions yes the converter is Chinese Made but is not a majority of stuff we by nowadays foreign made only reason i bought was because I have not seen any US made ones that are small enough to mount where I did and have trigger wires and ground for both 48 volt and 12 volt considering I have another converter that runs only amp and stereo while this one will run lights and accessories only its a cool cart so if you can direst me to a better made one if this doesnt work out I will be throughly grateful.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car