lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
BrownParticles
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart stopped running cold turkey.

Hi Buggies Gone Wild. I picked up a Club Car from an auction recently and have some (somewhat anticipated) problems. I hate to be one who is new to a forum and asks a bunch of questions that may seem to be obvious to the group. However, I have done countless hours of online research and reading, only to get nowhere so far.

The problem I'm having is that the cart stopped running. I drove it for a couple miles, stopped for a few seconds, and then the cart quit. I charged up the batteries overnight and in the morning the batteries read 53 volts or so. The solenoid, which I'm assuming is the cylindrical shaped object with four electrical posts up top, clicked when the accelerator was depressed and the cart ON. I did some research online and decided to "jump the solenoid." I put both of the larger wires onto one post to clamp them together. This only resulted in the solenoid to no longer click when everything was put back together and the accelerator depressed.

The accelerator linkage, which goes to some box with copper contacts inside makes a quieter click when depressed an inch or two. It still clicks. The direction switch was untouched since the solenoid was clicking.

So, I am wondering what could be wrong? I have already double and triple checked every single connection in the cart. Did I destroy a solenoid and other parts -in addition to whatever was broken to begin with- due to my "jumping of the solenoid?" What steps do I need to do in order to make this cart work again? I appreciate any help that comes my way and thank you guys for your time.
BrownParticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart stopped running cold turkey.

Check the batteries, individually and collectively before and after charging and driving. Also be sure you got water in them above the plates. A little more information about your cart would be helpful.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If the cart has a tow run switch you most likely blew the controller if you never put it in tow before working on the solenoid. Those things just don't like sparks of any kind. I don't see how that would hurt the solenoid. Bad news is the controller cost a lot more.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
BrownParticles
Not Yet Wild

My cart does not have a tow run switch, only a forward and reverse lever under the seat. I believe that it is a DS model but don't know much more about it. I can't seem to find any numbers or info on the cart itself.

Does anyone know of the testing procedure I need to go about doing, in order to diagnose the cart? The batteries were somewhat low on water after the cart quit and I topped it off prior to messing with the electronics. I will disconnect the batteries and measure them individually later on.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The serial number in just above the go pedal under the dash. Post it so we can tell what you are working with.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
BrownParticles
Not Yet Wild

I cannot find the serial number on the dash or anywhere around it. The dash seems to have been hydro dipped and not original. I have included pictures of the cart. Maybe one of you experts can determine what model it is from the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0770.jpg (213.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0771.jpg (221.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0772.jpg (210.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0773.jpg (199.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0774.jpg (107.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
BrownParticles
Not Yet Wild

I would also like to mention that on my first and only ride- before the cart quit- the radio would turn on and off constantly. That may indicate a voltage fluctuation? That may be a clue to something?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Based of the controller location, it looks as if somebody converted it to a controller drive system. Included is a picture of where to find the serial number

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC DS Serial Number Location.jpg (154.1 KB, 0 views)
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does it run in reverse?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the second picture I see two fuses. Does the batteries have enough power to run whatever is connected to those two fuses?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car