lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

Default Sluggish acceleration

OKay guys, I've got a 1994 Ezgo txt with problems accelerating. When I've got the cart on the lift, and I depress the accelerator, I am getting approximately 36 Volts (24V in reverse) to the motor and it seems to roll just fine. BUT, when it's on the ground, the motor is only getting about 20V in forward, and about 7-8V in reverse. Any idea what the problem might be? Controller?

Also, I have charged and discharged the batteries (and charged again), and the batteries ran 107 minutes, so I know the batteries are in good condition.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sluggish acceleration

Check your throttle signal. It should read 0-5000 in forward and 0-2500 in reverse or close to that.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

with a volt meter? which setting do I put it on? And you're talking about the two throttle prongs on the controller, right?

sorry, I'm kind of a beginner with this electrical stuff. I'm a nut and bolt kinda guy. hahaha.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Set the multi-meter to ohms Ω at a range of 0-20000 if not auto ranging model. Pull the 2 leads from the throttle pot off of the control (usually pins #2 & 3) and plug the meter into the spade terminals for testing.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Set the multi-meter to ohms Ω at a range of 0-20000 if not auto ranging model. Pull the 2 leads from the throttle pot off of the control (usually pins #2 & 3) and plug the meter into the spade terminals for testing.
okay, so I pulled the cover off the controller and it's the 5-pin with a white plug . Which two pins do I test? and should it be the same ohms as you stated above?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

On pins #2 & #3 (from the left; red and orange wires) I'm showing 11.07k ohms, and in reverse the meter jumps all over the place and I can't get a solid reading. What's my next step?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Me think that is ITS throttle, not tested with ohms setting.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Me think that is ITS throttle, not tested with ohms setting.
Thanks cgtech! Almost thought I was losing my mind. ha.

So, is there a way for me to test if it is the controller without swapping it out with a new/good one?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
GreezMunky
Not Yet Wild

bump.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
foureyed331
Not Yet Wild

So I don't know a lot about golf carts, and what differences each has, but I tore down an older ez-go that I assumed had weak batteries only to find that not all of the contacts on the throttle linkage were touching. The linkage had been bent causing it to not go all the way forward and getting full voltage. May not be the same issue, but under a load I can see there being a voltage drop difference.
foureyed331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO